Tubes in the ears

My son has had several ear infections the past year. How can I know if he may need tubes in the ears? He always gets double ear infections. He's has 6 since August. People keep telling me to get tubes in his ears but that isn't optional only can do if the doctor recommends it. Has anyone had their little one with so many er infections? He's 21 months old.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I found this online for you

http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/Ear-Tubes.cfm
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 1:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If they get more than 5 infections in a 6 month period the Dr USUALLY says to get tubes. My kid's both got them before 2 years old and it really made a huge difference in the # of infections they got in their ears. Both my kid's only got 1 ear infection after the tubes were put in.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• ENT doc will do an exam. DAG had them put in when he was 3. the differnce in the way he spoke was remarkable. He actually started talking so much we had to tape his mouth shut
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 1:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have a son. He is 4 he is on his 5th set of tubes. He had like 9 ear infections his 1st year. We tryed taking him to the cirpractor it didn't work. My husband's great grandmother said to put pee in his ear. LOL Yes we tryed it all and when none of it worked we put had tubes put in his ears. It was the best decision! They fall out about once a year and they reinsert them. The last time they put T-tubes in and they are supposed to stay longer. Actually they are putting tubes in my two years old next month! If you don't do something soon it will damage his hearing. And you don't want that! It is a very easy proceadure My 4 yr old had tubes in the morning and returned to school the next day!
    mimi497

Answer by mimi497 at 3:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I got ear infections when I was a child and still do to this day and I don't have tubes in my ears. I would talk to your doctor and if you don't like his answer get a second opinion
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:07 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• frist thing is take him to see a doctor there are the only ones that could tell you nobody else but the doctor only well this is all goodby
    marivel718

Answer by marivel718 at 10:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• YOU have to be seen by an ENT. My son has had nine and he goes for his first appointment tomorrow to determine if he needs Tubes. GOodluck hopefully you can answers you need.

Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 5:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011