My mother says that I eat too much what do you think?

My mother says that I eat too much and should cut down on what I eat to lose weight. We went out the other day for lunch and went to taco bell. I ordered a nacho bell grande and a hard taco I also had a soda with the meal. Mind you, this the first time that I had eaten all day, and for dinner that night I had a child size bowl (about one cup) of mac and cheese with broccoli. My mom said that I over did it with the taco bell that I should have eaten the taco only and not the bell grande that it was too much. Then my niece had a birthday party for her daughter and had food there. I ate one shreded chicken sandwich, three meatballs and a single serving of macaroni salad, again about one cup. That night I had a rib with green beans and mashed potatoes TV dinner for supper and mom said that I over did it at my nieces party..oh I also had a cupcake that was part of the birthday cake and a cup of ice cream. She said that I should not have eaten the cake and ice cream and that the meatballs were unnecessary if I had the sandwich and I really didn't need the macaroni salad. I told her that I was hungry from not eating breakfast that's why I ate so much and she said that really all I needed was a small garden salad and I would have been fine. My oldest sister is 120 lbs at 46 yrs old...the next one is 39 and weighs around 140 and mom says she is too fat..I weigh 280 and am 5'11. I know that I need to lose weight but I think my mom wants me to starve myself. Do you agree with her advice or is it a little much?

Sessy89

Asked by Sessy89 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Your a grown woman. You don't need your mom telling you about your portion sizes anymore.
    Tell her to bite it.

Eat. Sounds fine too me.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It sounds like you do not have the best healthy diet.
    Anonymous

• Somewhere in the middle is the best answer...sounds like you need to lose some....but that is when YOU are ready...and mom harping on it isn't going to make it happen.....
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 1:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 280 is over weight.

Taco bell is not appropriate food. Fruits and veggies are appropriate food.

Your mom is being a controlling monster. She needs to either be kind and supportive of your health or shut up.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think your Mom needs to leave you alone! you are a Grown Woman & are capable of making choices for yourself............

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 1:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• FAT is a harsh word. I already said that I know I am over weight and what I am questioning is whether or not my mom is correct in that my portions are too large. Honestly I don't think a starvation diet is best. My typical day is usually like this.....No breakfast..i do eat its usually eggs or a bowl of cereal. Lunch either a salad or a bowl of soup maybe macaroni and cheese if I am at home and not at work. Sometimes a sandwich. Dinner is usually like a plate of spaghetti or what ever I made that night usually a meat, a potato, a vegetable and a desert that is usually fruit or jello. I try to encourage all food groups for my kids. My doctor has put me on a special diet that limits a lot of what I can eat. As of Monday I wont be able to eat fried food, starches, beans, gassy veggies, acidic veggies, bleached foods, eggs or dairy...I think all I can eat is lettuce lol.
    Sessy89

Comment by Sessy89 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Its NOT what or how much you eat per say but the # of calories and grams of fat you consume in any given day. Your taco bell meal was about 1000 calories OVER your RDA ya know. (recommended daily allowance) Not to mention about 30 grams over your total fat intake for the day. The average healthy adult only needs between 1100-1500 calories a day. Most us eat 3 times that many. Women only need 35 or less grams of fat and we average about 90 grams a day.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It has a lot to do with everything you may or may not be doing.
    Fast food has SO MANY fat/calories in it. If your going to eat out, make healthier choices like subway: 6" on wheat, turkey and cheese with lots of veggies, no mayo or oil on it.
    Make sure your eating breakfast....it's better to have small meals/snacks throughout the day than only eat one regular meal because all the food throughout the day will keep your metabolism running and burning.
    Drink lots of water, and choose healthy snacks.
    Make sure your getting about 30 min of some kind of constant activity.....playing a sport with your kids, running around, taking walks, stretching....yoga.
    Even though you ate a little macaroni salad...the thing that kills it, is that most macaroni salads, potato salads, egg salads contain mayo and most mayo is EXTREMELY fattening. You have to be careful with those.

Over all though, you have to determine what you want to be.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• vbruno, 1100-1500? Are you sure?

Sessy89, it is not fun to be on the other end of your mother's comments, but frankly, you don't sound committed to losing weight. I think you will be stuck listening to her until you get on a serious weight loss plan. Fast food and most restaurant food has a hard time fitting into a serious plan. Your mom is making the comments because she loves you and doesn't know what else to do. She is trying to help because she knows carrying around as much extra weight as you are will cut your life short. So, make a decision, are you going to seriously get on a plan to lose weight and stick to it or not? If not, I don't think you can complain about your mom's comments.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 2:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• -cont......
    You have to feel good about how you look and feel and don't let ANYONE, even your mother, tell you otherwise. xoxoxo :)
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 2:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011