What advice should I give my sister?

She has a 13 year old girl who is a total brat! Whenever something doesn't go the way she planned she gets an attitude with everyone & sometimes she even cries over stupid things. Like for ex. She was staying the night at her friends house, well her friend's boyfriend lives down the street from my sis so he drove over to her friend's house picked the 2 girls up & they were going to hang out at his house well Carah left her phone charger at home so Josh stopped at my sister's house to get it. Well no body could find it so Carah starts yelling at my sister & her older brother that they had it last, they need to find, etc. And was about to have a total melt down over a charger! And whenever she wants money, she gets it.The only time she calls her dad is when she wants money or a ride. Wed. he gave her 40 for no reason & her mom gave her 15 & then Friday she got $200 to go xmas shopping & spent $150 on an outfit for herself

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• It sounds like her bad behavior is paying off. Mom and Dad need to get on the same page and get this girl under control. She doesn't need to have spending money just because. Money should be earned. Her meltdown should have cost her the time out. She needs an attitude check and I mean right now. She is only thirteen. This will only get worse as she gets older. The crying is somewhat normal. A lot of young girls are drama queens. Has your sis thought about counseling of any kind. It might help. If your sister is not asking for advice, she may not listen to any suggestions given. I would say talk with the ex, chart of a plan that all can live with, including the thirteen year old. Your part could be start praying for the family. That would include parents and teen. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 12:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Remind your sister that THEY are the parents....not the children. They need to get together and establish some ground rules for what is acceptable behavior and what is NOT acceptable behavior. In addition, they need to agree on and lay out consequences for unacceptable behavior and CONSISTENTLY enforce it. It they are worried about her throwing a fit, tell them not to. One of the ground rules for behavior can be to NOT throw a tantrum.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 2:28 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Wow, why is the fit she threw over the charger the big deal here? I'm more concerned that she's going to hang out with a guy that is old enough to drive at "his" house. Screw the fit, she's in for more trouble than that at this rate. You really can't do anything about this, unless you are going to take custody of her. It sounds like your sister has been letting this go/not parenting this girl for way to long. That child has zero respect for her parents, they either take back control fully and completely, or things won't get any better.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Has your sister asked for YOUR advise? I'm asking this cuz IF she hasn't she will just see you as you just trying to tell her HOW TO raise HER child.. As far as you, I, and the pp can tell this child is WAY out of control.. She needs to learn what respect is. And 13yrs old is about too late to teach it.. I taught my children this at a very young age. Them being 15yrs and 19yrs I still DEMAND it!! She does however need to get control of her NOW, cuz it will just get worse the older she gets. She needs to start by taking from her instead of giving into her soo much.. When she wants to throw a "FIT".. Thats where I'd start.. I wish your sister lots of luck..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:19 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I can understand her being upset about the phone charger.... a cell phone means the world 2 most teenagers, & if it went dead then omg she wouldn't be able 2 talk 2 anyone (lol). My 16 yr old wouldn't be able 2 live w/ out hers. But also, her parents wouldn't be able 2 reach her either & since she's allowed 2 hang out w/ older boys @ 13, a charged phone might be a good thing!?
    Has she always been spoiled? Was she taught 2 get her way by acting like that? If so, good luck w/ changing it now!!!
    I wish I could earn $200 by throwing a fit.... I'd be rich (lol)!!!
    Maybe some well enforced rules might help her turn her behavior around!?
    I wish you all the luck!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• She is just a SPOILED BRAT. It sounds like to me.

Answer by louise2 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Kimebs, The boys parents were home & he is a nice boy. I've known him since he was little & he has 2 little brothers that are ALWAYS in the room so nothing is going to happen with them right there.

And Yes my sister has asked for my advice/
    Anonymous

• I think the main concern is her hanging out with boys at their house. She'll end up pregnant and then you'll have two brats to deal with and parents that are broke.
    Anonymous