Complete lack of respect in "children's church"...

Today one of the boys who regularly attends our "children's church" brought 2 of his friends (they are brothers). These three children were extremely rude and disruptive, and were also trying to bully another boy by telling him he was "gonna slap him" and "get up in his face", right in front of me. I tried to the best of my ability to handle the situation (I was the helper..I am not the leader...we recently lost our leaders for the children's church and are searching for new ones).

Children's church should be a place where ALL are welcome to come and learn, but when children are so rude, loud, and disruptive the way these boys were today, I don't think the rest of the regulars learned anything. How would you handle this? Do you think sending them back to sit with the people who brought them is sending the wrong message? What would you say to correct the situation? It was SO FRUSTRATING, lol.

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 1:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would've sent them to sit with the adults who brought them. There's no reason for other children to have to suffer bullying at church so I wouldn't gotten those kids away from the others as quickly as possible and let the adults know that if those children want to come back again, they'll have to behave, but any time they behave like that, they'll be sent to the adults who brought them to church.
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 1:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong to send the kids back to sit with those who brought them is wrong. If it's adult then they need to know what is going on so they can talk to the kids and correct the problem. You should remove the kids that are being bullies so that the other kids are safe. I would want that for my kids. If they ask why just tell them that when they can behave and show other respect then they can come back. If the situation continues take it to your pastor and let him or her take it from there. I hope this helps. I have had to do this several times in Vacation Bible School.
    JodenaLeigh

Answer by JodenaLeigh at 1:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• When kids are disruptive in church/class they are warned verbally, and if they continue to act out or behave inappropriately they are taken to their parents or whomever they came with to church.
    The other children should be protected so they are made to feel safe and comfortable in their church environment.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Those boys should have been sent back to sit with the adults who brought them.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• by sending them back to the adults you're basically telling the kids that children's church is a privilege & there's a point to it. if you cant act right you have to sit thru regular church and we all know children's church is more fun. plus, the regularly attending boy's parents need to know that his little friends are a bad example (if he's normally a good kid). i would want & expect that from the ppl that run my church's Bible Hour. then after services you'd have to explain to the parents just what they were doing that warranted them being sent back.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Id have gotten the parent of the boy who was a member and asked them to leave, and take the other 2 boys with them. That is completely inexcusable in my book. Especially at a church.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with sending them back to the people that brought them. They were not following the rules and doing that is like putting them in time out. The other children that were there deserve to learn, just like you said.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 1:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would have grabbed all three boys and escorted them back to whoever brought them. There is no need for that, especiaaly at sunday school.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 3:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think sending them to sit with the people who brought them would be a very acceptable means of handling the situation. Children's Church is NOT a babysitter for your kids so that you may attend services. as the parent they are still your responsibility an the instructors cannot have that sort of disruption with the rest of the class. I hope you had a word with the adults responsible for those boys after the service and how the behavior of the children was a disruption.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• why do you put children's church in quotations? that's what it is, children having church...at least at ours. they have worship service, sing songs, ect, then disperse into their age appropriate classes. anyway...

why not put them in time out? usually, at ours anyway, if the situtation gets out of control where time outs don't work, they ask an usher to get the parent/guardian and ask them to handle it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2011