Has anyone had any experience with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

So, my husband and I have been together for six years, almost, and I've noticed that he always gets depressed in the winter. He is a "depressive" type already, but in the winter it gets REALLY bad, to the point that it makes ME depressed too. I've put up with it for years, but since having our son I just don't want to expose him to that, so does anyone have any experience with this disorder, or know anything I can do about it?

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 12:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Health

• my husband has sad it helps if he can get in the sun or uv light and medication also can help.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:58 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• YES I GET VERY DEPRESSED WHEN IT SNOWS I MOVED TO INDIANA FROM ALABAMA THAT IS A BIG CHANGE. WHAT I DO IS TRY THINGS TO THANKFUL FOR HERE,LIKE THE COOL SUMMERS I LOVE THE SUMMERS HERE AND HOW MUCH MY SON LOVES THE SNOW.
    kismiller

Answer by kismiller at 12:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Lamps actually help a lot. They give off a more "natural" looking light as opposed to overhead lighting. My mom, my oldest sister, and I all suffer from it. And even when it is cold, if it is sunny out, find a way to go out. Or open the curtains wide.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Short of moving to a sunnier clime, you can try making adjustments to the way you light your home. There are light boxes specifically designed for this disorder, but they haven't been officially approved by the FDA (not that I have much trust in THEM lately). Your other options are medication (Wellbutrin ER is the standard, but Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft are also used) and psychotherapy. Talk to your family doctor and see if light therapy would be a good first step (it isn't for everyone, believe it or not).

Good luck! My husband has had to deal with it his whole adult life, and that's why we live in San Diego!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:06 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Take winter as you holiday season. Go on holiday somewhere sunny for a week or so, so your hubby can get plenty of sun exposure (vitamin d). This should help. Also make sure you have a good diet, get plenty of exercise and fresh air daily.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have S.A.D. - some years it's worse than others. It can trigger depression and/or anxiety. Mine usually manifests as anxiety - I start worrying excessively, especially about my health, get very jittery and even have panic attacks. Several years ago I had a winter that was so bad that I ended up going on Paxil which helped immediately. I felt like myself again within a few days. I stopped taking it when I wanted to concieve and hadn't had any significant symptoms for the past six years. But now this year, over the course of the fall I have developed severe symptoms again. I have a lightbox - HappyLite by Verilux - and it does seem to help, especially during years where it doesn't hit me so severely. It also does help to get out for walks in the fresh air - even if it's a cold climate (I live in Maine). And I always feel better when I talk to others about it or even read about it.
    Rosafaerie

Answer by Rosafaerie at 8:11 AM on Dec. 2, 2008