Would you consider this to be rape? adult content

A young man in his early twenties is in a halfway house for people with severe mental illness. In his case, Borderline personality disorder, Anxiety, depression and multiple suicide attempts. One of his behavior issues due to the BPD is inappropriate sexual behavior. A male nurse who is homosexual takes the patient to the store in a company van, to buy supplies that the patient needed. The patient flirts and conducts himself in an inappropriate manner. The nurse pulls off onto a remote county road and begins to kiss the patient, fondles him and eventually removes his pants and after putting on a condom attempts to penetrate. At this point the patient tells him to stop, that he does not want to go further, that he has a boyfriend and does not want to cheat on him. The nurse tell the patient, jokingly, that it is a very long and cold walk back to the house. The patient, fearing being left behind and fearing the repercussions if the nurse says that he ran away from him, allows the nurse to have intercourse with him. After returning to the home the patient has an anxiety attack, calls his boyfriend who notifies the nurses superior and charges are filed against the nurse. The nurse is charged with coercion which is a form of rape. This was a case study in class and I remarked that the nurse should be fired, his license revoked and have to register as a sex offender. The class argued with me and said it was consensual. That the patient was an adult and he made the choice to have sex and the nurse is not in the wrong. Any Opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I would consider it rape and an abuse of power
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes it's rape. The patient in question is mentally ill and not capable of acting in a manner consistent with most of society's behaviors. Even if the patient started it it's still a mentally ill person and is still rape in the eyes of the law
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• IMO your right. His mental compacity is in question because of his illnesses. It was certainly coercion and the patient expressed his wish to stop.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think if you say no it would be considered rape
    ahuey1372

Answer by ahuey1372 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• RAPE
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes its rape. The patient mental state should be considered too. He does not sound like he is competent enough to make decisions
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It's rape because the patient said "no". It's illegal for that nurse to have relations with ANYONE he watches over/cares for AT ANY TIME whether it is on the job or on personal time.
    He took advantage of the patient.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 1:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would consider that rape, most definitely. The patient was NOT consenting, told him to stop, but for FEAR of being left and getting into trouble himself (and because it was a cold and long walk back, possibly DYING), allowed it to happen. How many women, out of FEAR OF DYING "consent" to sex?
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think you're right on this...the personality disorder could've come into play,..and the guy said no...jokingly or not, the nurse shouldnt have said it's a long cold walk back..that can lead to anxiety right there, on top of if the nurse said the guy took off, to cover his butt..I can see both sides I guess, but I def don't think you were wrong.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think it is rape or at the very least, sexual assault. A mental patient , certified or held in an institution on two signatures would not be judged in sound mind to make his own decisions anyway in a case like this so consensuality would probably carry no weight if argued by the defence. I am sure that would be the case where I live , Canada .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011