Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a disabled child and need to know if the district should legally be providing more services for her

Answer Question

Asked by HaiAnt at 12:41 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • I am guessing that you mean the school... most schools make accommodations for while the children (with special needs) are attending, since you did not say if this is a physical or a learning disability and what services are currently being provided it is difficult to answer.

    If you are unhappy with the current services being provided then I would suggest that you talk to your child's teacher, principle and any specialists involved to create change that will be acceptable to you.

    Answer by indigostone at 1:14 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Yes, as PP said, you should set up a conference meeting to see what benefits are available for your child, you will then have an IEP meeting scheduled with specialists.

    Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • The school district you are in has some of the responsibility of helping you and your child. I would go into the school office and ask for an assesment to be done through the school (if one hasn't been done through the school already), and ask what services are available. After the school does the assesment they will want to meet with you (and all the specialists) and make an IEP- a Individulized Education Plan which you sign off on. That will get you started at least.... and get you going in the right direction. Some states have respite care depending on your child's needs- those services are not through the school system. You may have to look up some info on that- Easter Seals may have some answers, your insurance (or Medicaid) might have some answers as well. Good luck.

    Answer by hannahk at 1:46 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.