Depression

I was suffering w/ depression almost 20 years ago. Did counseling for a few months, learned how to overcome some issues thru journaling, letting go and making changes. I was able to control my depression with exercise. And had not had a episode since. Now for the last 2-3 years I have had moments of depression, lasting a day or 2, but within the last year its gotten worse, especially this year. I cannot get motivated for counseling or back to what was controlling my depression (the exercise, the activites I had come to love)
Anyone else gone thru this and how did you get back? (prefer to do this again w/out meds)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Health

• Just go back to counceling....if you cant do that talk to a good friend that you tell everything to...a lot of times just talking to people helps.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Cannot get motivated to go back to the counseling and talking w/ friends is good, but most of them are stressed and going thru so much too so even its good to have them to open up about issues, I still get depressed knowing they are going thru problems too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Water aerobics is so fun its almost like no exercise I know. It is invigorating while you are doing it and relaxing after you have stretched your muscles in such a nonstressful way. St. Johns Wort and Vitamin B are also good for depression.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 2:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Get into something you enjoy doing! Quilting, gardening, tending indoor plants, crocheting... Anything that you enjoy can help you to feel better! My doc says a hobby can reduce stress and lower your blood pressure, and I know for me(I suffer from depression as well) that it brings up my mood when I work on something I enjoy. Keep several things going at once so you can switch between them when you get bored or tired of a particular project. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Alot of what hinders motivation has to do w/ issues in my marriage. I have outgrown my husband, marriage and ready to move on, but he is not having it. : (
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• husband related.... start with couples therapy and use it as confidence builder for alone counseling.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Husband does not want counseling. He will say yes lets go, (this has been said more than once and I find someone and before I set up the appt he will say he is not going) So all avenues have been passed and of no use. Its time to move on, but he does not agree but has no other solutions.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Counseling but I do counseling and medication and it seems to be the best way for me. Good luck!
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011