Can i use Vaseline to prevent diaper rash instead of A&D ointment?

Mystie01

Asked by Mystie01 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried it with my kid (the one made for babies) and it did nothing for David. I hear others use it and it's fine for them, but it actually made the problem worse for my son.
    amandallamas

Answer by amandallamas at 12:49 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yes, I always use Vaseline. I only use A&D ointment when she has a rash. The vaseline works great, the only reason my daughter has ever had a rash is because she is allergic to Pampers. The A&D does a great job of wiping out the rash though. I thought she was only allergic to the Swaddlers, but we had a pack of Pampers Baby Dry that we decided to use and once again . . the rash reappered, so no pamper products whatsoever for us. Also!, the A&D ointment smells too medicine-y . . . the vaseline is better, because there is no odor and baby can still smell like a baby!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Vaseline is petroleum jelly, which is two processing steps away from motor oil. I wouldn't want to put that on my baby's skin! YUCK.http://www.vaseline.com/Carousel.aspx?Path=Consumer/AboutUs/History It was discovered from OIL RIGS.

It is best to use non-toxic products on babies
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• lol...ok I'm almost POSITIVE the most recent form of Baby Vasoline is Non-toxic...otherwise, me my sisters, and my daughter all would have died from ingesting it! Anyway...yes, Vasoline worked for my DD, and I loved the Baby Vasoline smell...
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 2:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I posted a link from Vaseline's website.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:23 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• # Parabens: preservatives; deemed safe and unlikely to irritate the skin. widely used for cosmetics; various forms will be listed with the ingredient usually ending in "-paraben", as in the following word (i.e. methyl paraben). www.dermadoctor.com
    http://www.vaseline.com/Template2.aspx?Path=Consumer/Glossary/Home
    Aside from the baby fresh scent, Vaseline Baby is pretty much the same as regular Vaseline, except this version comes with diapering application instructions.
    Ingredients:
    Active-White Petrolatum
    Inactive- Fragrance
    White Petrolatum is a purified mixture of semisolid hydrocarbons obtained from Petroleum and decolorized. www.sciencelab.com
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Pink Save and A&D is what I will and always have used. My nurse buddies agree - they even gave me a basket full of the stuff....I just don't like Vaseline - your choice tho.
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 4:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't see why not...but I use butt paste. Boudrouxs (sp) It good stuff...works overnight!
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 9:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I use vaseline, they have a baby kind (i buy the walmart brand, it smells like baby powder). it works great and it wipes off easily.
    fcangel9

Answer by fcangel9 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I LOVE Desitin. I use desitin at every single diaper change and it works. Zinc Oxide is what prevents and heals diaper rash. Regular vaseline does not contain zinc oxide. I would use the A&D over vaseline.
    passionmom119

Answer by passionmom119 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 1, 2008