Does your child have a cell phone?

and what age do you feel is appropriate for a child to have one? and what if they really don't need it but just want one, do you get them one or not?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I feel it's appropriate when the child has a job to pay for it themselves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If in highschool my child is not involved in things like church, sports, drama, etc etc then they'll have a job. At that time we'll re-evaluate our phone policy. Til then (age 15 or 16) it's not up for discussion.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• my daughter is 14 and i am getting her a cell phone just in case of emergencies i want to be able for her to get in touch with me if there was ever aproblem
    ahuey1372

Answer by ahuey1372 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My youngest daughter is 11 and she has had a tracfone since she was 9.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 2:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• uhm, i personally feel it depends on the child...if they are responsible enough then 8th grade if not wait till they are a freshman in high school but then again it also depends on the school systems where you are ... when i started working i bought myself a pre-paid cell phone when i was sixteen but that's just because i was working 30hours a week
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Both my daughters have had a cell phone since junior high. They go to school a few towns away and are at school 9 to 10 hours a day. There is no way they could work and have homework too.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011