Is this normal?

dd turns 3 in June..and the past few months or so she has been covering her ears when something she maybe doesn't like comes on. She always covers her ears (since this started) and says "it's loud" and asks if we can turn it off when the blow dryer comes on..same thing in the car when songs come on..but when it's something she likes, like Dora or songs she likes she asks for them to be turned up. Today, she was watching a show on my phone and a text came through and dinged, and normally she'll close them out when that happens or she'll bring us the phone and say "someone texting you", but today she flipped out..covered her ears and started crying. I'm starting to become a little concerned with it, but want to know if it's normal behavior. Do I need to get her in to the doc and make sure everything's ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It wouldn't hurt to have her ears checked out. It might be certain sounds that bother her. Then you will know that she truly is OK and you can ignore it when she just doesn't want to hear certain things.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It sounds like it is the high pitch that she is having problems with. I would take her in to get her ears checked out.....I have to take my son in every 6 months to check his hearing because DH has early hearing loss that they dont know why...so now we have to keep a close eye on DS.....it could also be an ear infection...sometime different pitches can cause problems with an infection as well. But its better to take her in then wait and something be wrong.
    Anonymous

• Definitly have her ears checked
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My 7 year old did that for awhile, his hearing test was fine. After several months he stopped. I don't know whether this is normal, its just what my experience was.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• DD did that after having tubes put in her ears, she went to barely hearing anything to having sensitive hearing. Get her checked, and keep monitoring it---it could vary depending on whether or not she's ill and since she's still a toddler it will probably pass.
    LoveBuggsMommie

Answer by LoveBuggsMommie at 9:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• http://hubpages.com/hub/Hyperacusis-Sensitivity-to-Noise-Symptoms-and-Treatments

Sounds to me like she just has certain things she prefers to hear. I know when people are typing, chewing crunchy stuff or snapping gum it just makes me so angry. Just seems like any repetitive type noise is irritating to me ever since I was a child. Could be the same with her.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 10:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It's kind of what I was thinking twinklelites.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My DS does the same thing w/the vaccum cleaner or something he doesn't wanna hear on TV. So I usually reassure him it's gonna be ok and I'll be done vaccuming soon. As for TV noise I usually just fast foward through that part or switch channels. I think it's a phase my DS is going through, IMO.
    MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 11:11 AM on Apr. 11, 2011