Does your Child have Eczema??

if so,
1.did your DR prescribe your child a steroid cream for it?
2.how long did you use it?
3. was your child still able to get the MMR vaccine?

chrissyrissyroo

Asked by chrissyrissyroo at 2:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son had it as a baby. I never used the steroid cream. When he had a bath I use to use olive oil. He has outgrown it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Me, DH and our daughter all have Eczema...we never went to the Dr about it because we knew what it was, we just use Cortezone 10 and that pretty much keeps it under control
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 1) my son uses a steroid cream when the hydro 2.5% doesn't work. His 1st steroid cream was actually black boxed by the FDA in 2006 (he was born 10/04)

2) we use it sporadically throughout the year. Usually in the yuck part of summer and the driest part or winter the most

3) he's always gotten all vaccines with the exception of a few flu shots
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You can get Cortezone 10 at any store
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My son has it had it since he was a baby, they had given us so many different creams it wasn't funny they even sent us to specialist since he get's it really bad... right now he is on Desonide ointment 0.05% strength and he uses it twice a day once in the morning and then after his bath at night before bed but we were also told not to use bubble bath and special dove soap i have a list but i don't remember what i did with it
    i hope this helps a little bit
    proudmommy_0811

Answer by proudmommy_0811 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• did your children still get the MMR vaccine while using the cream??
    chrissyrissyroo

Comment by chrissyrissyroo (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 1. Yes, and it did NOT work for her. Regular lotion after bath w/o drying worked 100 x's better than steriod creams ever did.

2. Obviously not for very long. I was told use it one week on, one week off (and in the off week, use the lotion they gave me).

3. If you are worried about the vaccine, just don't use the cream that day. It won't kill to not use it one day.

PS Have you checked your child for allergies? My former pedi refused any kind of outside treatment because "I'm an expert on child eczema." When my daughter broke out in hives after using a medication, he FINALLY referred her to an allergist, and that allergist has helped me SO MUCH in getting her eczema under control! In fact, its almost gone. I removed as much of the foods she's allergic to out of her diet (which is VERY hard :/), so she's definitely doing a lot better. She's 5, btw.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 4:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• yeah i took her him to a allergist, no allergies, i keep reading that if a child is on steroids for over 2 weeks, its not safe to get a "live" vaccine.....now im scared to give my son the shot.
    chrissyrissyroo

Comment by chrissyrissyroo (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You mean, your doctor recommended to keep child on steroids more than a week at a time? That stuff will cause child's skin to become thin!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 6:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011