My baby refuses to sleep lying down. What to do???

My 16 week old son refuses to sleep lying down. The only way we can get him to sleep is put him in his car seat, bouncy seat, or swing. He wasn't like this at all until about 3 weeks ago. We started him out in a bassinet and then moved on to his crib. He slept in the crib for about a week and hasn't since then. We have let him lay and cry hoping he would just give in, but he wont sleep for more than 10-15 min without waking up screaming again. I just don't know what else to do. Is it ok for him to sleep in his car seat, bouncy seat, or swing?

rowewoman

Asked by rowewoman at 2:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 16 months or 6 months?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Perhaps he has acid reflux? That could account for him sleeping ok with an incline but not flat. If your crib has wheels try taking off one end so there is a slight incline. Also the mattress could be too hard for him.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• darn typo i ment 16 week old
    rowewoman

Comment by rowewoman (original poster) at 2:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• He may like the coziness of the bassinet. Has he gotten too big for it? My niece's little one slept in her swing for months! When she finally was too big for it they transitioned her to the crib. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am having the same problem. My son is now 6 months old and won't stay asleep in a laying down position. He is getting to big to sleep in his carseat though since he is starting to roll now. I still haven't figured out why he prefers sleeping like this :(
    Missalissa86

Answer by Missalissa86 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yeah he has outgrown his bassinet. I know its strange and I can't figure out why unless its the coziness.
    rowewoman

Comment by rowewoman (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Could be an ear infection, that was always the first (and sometimes only) symptom for my kids when they were babies.
    Anonymous

• If he still fits in the bassinet, I'd leave him in that. Or the swing, if he's comfortable.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Would baby like to be swddled? DD won't go to sleep unless tightly wrapped in a swaddleme.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 12:34 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• He is telling you its too soon to be in the big spacious crib. Try putting rolled receiving blankets on his sides where he can just barely touch them with outstretched arms. Or leave him in the bassinet for one more month. Keep putting him in the crib for play time and day time naps even if he fusses (just to get him used to it). Be persistent your efforts will pay off eventually.
    LisaNSienna

Answer by LisaNSienna at 9:19 AM on Apr. 11, 2011