• In the Spotlight:

CIO

Please help! My lo is 10 1/2 months old and it is getting really hard to get him to sleep at night! I want to try CIO but I'm really scared that it will not work and it will only be torture for me and him. Please tell me how you did it. If you are against this, please respectfully not answer this question. I'm at my wits end with my kid!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well this is what I do, put him down and see what happens. wait 15 minutes. yes it will seem like torture for you. but usually they fall asleep way before the 15 minutes is up if he is still crying go in and check him then again tell him nitenite and leave for another15 minutes.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:52 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It really does work. As long as he is fed, his diaper changed, etc. I don't see anything wrong with letting him know that night time is night time and that means time for sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I know you said not to post, but I can't help it. I just know exactly where your at! I tried CIO twice and cried more than DH did. I read a book called The 90 Minute Sleep Solution by Dr. Peggy Moore and it changed ALL of her sleep habits for the better.

You can delete me if you want. Sorry, didn't mean to be disrespectful. I just REALLY feel for you! You can message me if you have any questions.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• jcsscfam5, thanks for answering and I'm sorry if I came across rude. I just did not want to be blitzed by mean mama's who are against this method. I will look into that method along with the CIO. I'm freaking out b/c last night my kid woudn't sleep until 10:30 pm and tonight it was 11 pm. It's getting really out of hand! This battle is one that I do not want to loose and I'm so scared of screwing up my boy!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Lay him down when you know he's tired, wait about 15-20 minutes, then go in there and give him a kiss, lay him back down and tell him it's night night time. wait another 15-20 minutes, if still awake, do the same thing, only don't say anything, just give him a kiss and lay him down. he should be asleep by then, if you put him down when he is really tired. i know how you feel. with my son, i sat outside his door the WHOLE time. now that i've had my DD though, it's not so tough, since i've been through it already, so i don't feel so bad, knowing it will be worth the while in the future. my son has went to bed on his own at 6 months,and slept through the night since about 7 months. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• OMG . . . we are the same! I didn't think you were rude by the way. I felt rude for answering when you weren't asking for opinions like mine.

We were the same way! My DD didn't nap very well, went to bad very late, and often cried so hard when it was time for bed. What I learned from this book was that it wasn't her, it was ME! I wasn't picking up on her early tired cues fast enough and was waiting until she was exhausted to put her to bed. Which is why she would cry. For some reason sleeping was the hardest part of having a new baby for me. Anyways, I read the book on a Saturday night (it is short) and started applying what I learned Sunday morning. It worked right away. We had two 2 hour naps and she started going to bed around 8:30pm. I am not saying this is some miracle book! Once you read it, you think it should have all been common sense.

Good luck to you!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:07 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I've also heard good things about the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution" if you are interested.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I put on my dd's favorite song (james otto "just got started loving you"), which puts her in almost a transe, and that puts her to sleep..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• anon 8:42 - Thats a great type. My daughter loved "Lets Get It On." Iol
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

I'm reading this now and it really seems promising. I've used it one day and am already seeing some small results.
    Anonymous