Will pee in potty but not poop?

My dd turns 3 in july and has been doing great with potty training, she now tells me when she has to pee and has maybe 2 accidents a month, but poop is a different story. she waits everyday for me to put her nap time diaper on to poop and refuses to poop on the potty. I tryed not putting the diaper on at nap time and then she just holds it til bedtime diaper. I would love to skip night time diaper but she wakes up with a full diaper every morning still and is not ready for night time potty training. Any tips or advice I could try to help my dd want to poop on potty?

scanamey77

Asked by scanamey77 at 3:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Pooping is a different ball game in terms of potty training. They have to learn so much in terms of controlling their body- and it can be hard. Praise this first step- and keep at it, because it will happen... just at its own pace. :-)
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• One mom on here mentioned that she sat her child on the potty in font of the tv, at a table, with a lot of activities she and the child did all day. Then when the child had to go she/he was already sitting on the potty. It should be a concentrated effort for a weekend or so. You might offer some sort of reward too. Another mom said she had a big reward and put it on a shelf so the child could see it. The child was told he/she could have it after a week of going on the potty. You could give stickers for each day along the way. This was for a little bit older child, though, but just passing it along. Just ideas...............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Do you dump the poo from the diaper into the toilet and have her flush it down? That worked pretty good to get my DD used to the idea of poo goes in the potty. My DD experienced some separation anxiety. She thought that since the poo came out of her she was losing a part of herself, so we really played up the rewards when she flushed it down the toilet from the diaper and emphasized that everyone and everthing poops and taught her about where people go and where different types of animals go.
    admiring_u_14

Answer by admiring_u_14 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011