"MY body MY choice?" only extended to adults?

I so often hear the abortion argument that no one has the right to tell a woman what she can do with her body, or reproductive health. If you have the view "my body my choice", do you extend that same respect and right to your sons in regards to reproductive rights?

If its your body, your choice, when it comes to circumcision, shouldn't it be HIS body HIS choice? or does right over reproductive health, and body choice only extend to adults.

Is it "His body His choice" or "My baby, my choice"

Curious to see how moms to view, my body, my choice, view circumcision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• We were torn about it because of religious reasons but in the end decided not to do it. My son is 8 now, and I even had a chat with him about it. He's glad we didn't do it. I told him he could have it done any time he wants (I'm not expecting a request).

I'm glad this post is popular because in my generation no one even thought about it. They did it because the doctor said to. The thing that got me thinking about it was a Phil Donahue show from many years ago. A guy was interviewed who was deeply affected by being circumcised as a baby, so much that he found a doctor to reverse it. I didn't want to put my so through that even though chances were small that he would have an emotional response as an adult.
    RobotLady

Answer by RobotLady at 10:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i never thought about it that way either i circumsized my son but that was b/c i heard that the upkeep and the possible chance of infection was way higher for babies that weren't but very good question.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Op what makes you more of an expert on circumcision then doctors? How do you know those who did it was misinformed? Sorry but I will take a doctors advise/word over some anonymous person who probably is just against circumcisions.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am 100% pro choice when it comes to a woman's reproductive decisions. I also make ALL MEDICAL/COSMETIC decisions for my children while they are CHILDREN. I am the parent, and I am the one RESPONSIBLE for making BIG decisions for them when they are too small to do so themselves. My son was born with hypospadias, and I decided it was in his best interest to repair it and have him circ'd. So I did. Had he not had hypospadias, I still would have had him circ'd, for family history reasons. My BIL is uncut and has had MANY issues growing up, MANY. Due to knowing what he went through, DH and I felt circumcision was the right decision for OUR SON. I don't care what decision others make for their son, for I only know what is best for MINE. Circ or don't-PERSONAL PARENTING DECISION. :)

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I can honestly say I have never thought about it like that. I circumsized my boys, but I also don't believe in abortion. So there's MO.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 3:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Circumcision as an adult is EXTREMELY painful and prone to infection. Lots of people get their boys cut because it's a religious belief, and other do it because every man gets it done today, in America anyways. Most Americans do not realize how many other country's DO NOT circumcise. Its a personal choice for each Mom. And I think it's the mom who should decide if she wants her boy cut.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I also wonder, for all you who did circumcise, did you know or where you informed that death is a potential risk or circumcision? In the US anywhere between 117 and 300 baby boys die per year from circumcision complications?

Again, we need proof and links. We can't take your word for it.

What is your motive for this post? To sit there and bash those who choose to do it? You didn't do it good for you. Some people did it good for them. We all have our reasons for doing it and not doing it. So stop your preaching.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• We decided not to circ our son for this very reason

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• but after thinking about it i kinda agree with josie that this is not really the same kind of debate having your child circumsized is not preventing them from reproducing later on so how is this the same you are not giving a baby a chance to grow your wiping out it's existance with this you are removing a piece of skin i could see the similarity of you were deciding to do the snip/snip thing when they were born but this doesn't seem relevent to me just my opinion
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:35 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am deeply DEEPLY pro life.

My son is intact (not circumsized) and if for some odd reason he wants to get snipped someday I'll support him fully
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011