Dieting on a budget?

So, I'm on PA, and I have my 4 year old and fiance. I'm trying to lose weight, but Idk how. I don't really eat much. I snack from time to time and eat dinner, but nothing too big. I can't afford all the "healthy" stuff as it's too expensive. What can I do to shed some pounds? Do the microwaveable healthy meals really work?

GothicChk52

Asked by GothicChk52 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• going meatless as much as possible is a great start. Making sure you're getting skim or 1% milk for the whole household.

Buy the cheapest fruits you can find (usually bananas, sometimes kiwi) and mix w/ plain yogurt (generic store brand in enormous tub) as a breakfast. A string cheese or sharing a PB sandwich with your kid is a nice snack.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Meatless? Seriously? I don't really like much meat, anyways, but I never thought of that as a diet plan...lol
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• meat = fat usually. or use it SPARINGLY. here's a cheap semi-meat meal

Package of bacon (On sale usually $1.50 or so)
    2-3 fresh tomatoes ($1.25 tops)
    head of lettuce (less than $1 usually)
    loaf of bread (couple bucks and you'll use it on other meals/things)
    Mayo (probably already in your fridge)
    and a bag of low sodium pretzels or whatever melon is on sale (my walmart has watermelons for 2.99 right now)

BLT bacon letter tomato sandwich as a meal with a healthy side for barely $8 PLUS you have extra fruit or pretzels and lettuce/tomatoes for a light salad the next day most likely.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Also always buy eggs in "bulk"..... like the biggest package they have. 24+ if possible. They're healthy AND cheap. and they have about 500 uses for breakfast lunch and dinner
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• ugh...that sounds SO good right now...lol thanks for the ideas. :)
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• True. We use eggs ALL the time. My favorite...french toast. :)
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think focusing more on portions and trying to get fresh fruits and veggies worked in is the best way to go. That, and boost exercise. While I was in college, I was broke, and pretty much did not have any options beyond hot dogs and ramen...but I worked out a lot more when I wanted to lose weight.

Oh...and no beverages except water. Cuts expenses and calories big time.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Ya, I need to get more into exercising. I'm glad it's summer again, cause I can go back outside and have fun.
    GothicChk52

Comment by GothicChk52 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Homemade soups, chili, baked beans, lentils and stews can be healthy.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 7:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Do you have any of the cheaper grocery stores in your area? Aldi, Save-A-Lot, Price Rite, etc etc? You can find lots of healthy options at those stores from plain oatmeal or cereals with no high fructose corn syrup, whole wheat pasta, fresh and frozen veggies, bags of frozen chicken breasts, salmon fillets, tilapia, shrimp, Price Rite carries Chobani greek yogurt for $1 each (about 25 cents off other stores)....a plain chobani with some frozen berries and a packet of truvia is SO good.

I have a family of 4 and I spend roughly $60 a week on groceries between Aldi's and the organic things I get at Wegmans....but once the Farmers Market opens and my own garden I'll be stocking up on plenty of fruits and veggies to last the year by canning, preserving, and freezing as much as possible.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 11, 2011