Are you a good role model?

Do you believe you're a good role model for your children? Why?

This has been on my mind since I read in another post that a mother thought it was alright for a group of teenage boys to yell at another teen's dad, calling him a "F*g*t" on church grounds...because he just looks that way.

In my opinion, children mimic how their parents behave. Are you doing a good job?

Renee3K

Asked by Renee3K at 4:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I did a good job, because my kids now grown are productive, kind and compassionate, so I must have been...

Answer by older at 4:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes, Both my kid's tell me Im their hero and role model. Both of their myspace pages even say Im their Hero's Who am I to argue?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:42 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I try.... I really do. I have my issues/problems but I am trying to show modesty, respect, core values, empathy, etc. Time will tell if it's working. They're only 6 and 4 1/2
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My older 2 tell me I did a good job, I was a single parent with my own set of issues.
    These two are 6 & 7 so we'll see.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am trying to be, but I am only human, so hopefully they will learn from me that mistakes can be made and you can learn and grow from them.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• id say id be a good role model to my son, i have a lot of younger kids looking up to me for advice and guidance even though im only a couple years older then they are

since i dont have any kids yet (not till august) idk if im an actual good role model or not
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 4:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't think so but the rest of my family seems to think I was.

I have a hot temper, not a lot of patience, smoke, can cuss like a sailor, drive like a bat of hell (that comes from my mom ... she's 61 and still drives that way) and VERY vocal about my opinions and views. However, those views reflect honesty, integrity, respect and caring for others.

Hmmm? I guess they are right ... my son was always trying to help others. So maybe I was despite all my other quirks.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I would have you take a look at my children and tn answer me. I do try to teach them that it isn't nice to say mean things about others, even if it is true because it could hurt their feelings. For example, at my eldest daughter's preschool there was a new student that my daughter became friends with named Lynnette, who happens to be a little more heavily built. My daughter had made a comment to me about Lynnette being "Fat" and I reprimanded her for using that word. Not only because it isn't polite but because it could hurt Lynnette's feelings and that just because Lynnette was bigger than some of the other girls does not mean she's fat or should be called such and that it isn't what she looked like that matters but whther or not she's a good fried, to which my daughter confirmed that YES Lynn is a wonderful friend. She has never called any of her friends Fat since regardless of their size.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i think i am i teach my children to be polite and help . i do not allow them to sware or fight
    the funny think is me and my hubby are into metal music so dif but people are for ever commenting on how well behaved are kids are
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 6:59 PM on Apr. 10, 2011