Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support questions

if he quits his job-will he get in trouble for not paying?

and if he gets a raise or another job will my child support go up or stay the same?


Asked by xxmissrainbow at 1:08 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • well from what I understand they could take his liscense away and he can go to jail. But it will keep adding up and he would have to pay more money. Or he can ask for a hearing to get it lesser down. It will differ if he cant pay or if he makes more but you have to call them IM not sure about all that.

    Answer by momof5kidz at 1:21 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • You would have to call the court where you filed your order to see the laws. Different states have very different child support laws. It's best to call and be definite as opposed to getting different answers on here. If they have a website that might answer your questions too.

    I know where I live the payer can quit their job and they are given so long to get a new job. If not they get into trouble.

    If they get a raise, then the payee gets more money.

    Answer by OneToughMami at 3:03 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • If he quits his job just so he doesn't have to pay child support then yes he can get into trouble. Child support is based on income so if he takes a better job and makes more money then there is a chance you can get more child support but you have to take him back to court.

    Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Where I live, in both of the scenarios you present, you have to file a motion to have a hearing to have that result. If he quits, you file a motion, have a hearing and they will hold him in contempt for failure to pay. If he gets a better job/raise/promotion/etc., you again file a motion, hearing, and they will determine if he should pay more. I'd call your local clerk of court or maybe a legal aid office and see what they say.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 8:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

  • Most states, the child support agency will file appropriate motions. If you have new information call the Child Support office and let them know.

    Answer by Babylove76 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2008