I want to make my own bridesmaids dresses

I have NO experience actually making a dress, only designing them. I have designed the dress I want to make for my bridesmaids, but I want to know coming from someone who is experience how difficult it will be? The design is very simple and how I have it in my head it will also be VERY beautiful!I have never seen anything like it. Also, how many yards of fabric will I need? One dress will be a size 0-2 and the other 3 are sizes 8, 16, and 22. Just imagine one solid pattern and all of the dresses I want to be about mid calf length. the smallest dress the girl is about 5'2" and the other 3 are all about 5'6"

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 5:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Shopping

• I took apart my sons carseat cover to make a girl one for my daughter. I can say this. Give yourself lots of time. I had the machine mess up on me which took a day to fix. The needle broke and I had to go buy another one. I ran out of thread and had to send my husband to the store. I sewed the whole thing together and put it on the car seat and had to take it apart and remake peices because it didn't fit. Whatever could go wrong did. I thought it would take me about a week bc I have sewn before but the whole thing took me a month.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 6:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• WOW. ummm I think you should use some of the $$$$ you're saving and hire a tailor or seamstress to guide you thru this. They've been hit hard by the economy and I'll bet you could find someone amazing for $10 an hour just to help guide you thru this. It's not something u wanna risk goofing. And nice fabric is expensive.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Good luck! I admire you for designing dresses for your bridesmaids... take your design to a seamstress. I am sure she can make the dresses for you. Just supply the fabric and thread and I'm sure she can work wonders. Just pay 1/2 now and 1/2 when you pick them up and make sure they are like you wanted.
    normasue2

Answer by normasue2 at 12:42 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• With absolutely no sewing experience, your wedding is not the time to dabble in making custom designed dresses. Hire someone who knows what they are doing. Good luck with your project, and congrats on your wedding. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 9:45 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have plenty of sewing experience-just no experience making a dress...
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011