Training wheels off ....

is it alot like potty training? Do you have to sort of wait til the child is ready? Or can I take them off and teach them to balance and puddle despite their screams/pleads to leave them on. My son is (Literally) the only one in his class of 17 to still have training wheels. My husband suggested when he adjusts the seat tomorrow (since it's raining today) we also toss the training wheels and just make him deal with it. ... I don't want him on a therapists couch someday discussing the trauma.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 5:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Hahaha, my oldest (almost 8 now) was terrified, but we took them off (they were already falling off on their own, lol). He was scared at first but the first time I let go of his seat and he rode a short distance on his own, he was filled with joy! He was so excited. My other son (almost 7) is getting his off as soon as I can find the right wrench to get them off with! He's scared as well but it's time. I always teach them in the grass. If they fall it's not so bad. They have to pedal harder to get going and it's easier to stop :)
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• well the only way a child will learn is by taking them off, right? they won't be able to learn balance if the training wheels stay on. i don't think there is a readiness age. i think as long as they know how to peddle a bike and when they're comfortable doing that, give it a little time and then take the wheels off. practice makes perfect! no kid ever jumped onto a bike without training wheels and did it perfect their first time.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• peddle = pedal lol oops
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My daughter was 7, almost 8, before she was ready. My 5 year old son isn't ready yet. However if you are willing to spend the time working with him on his balance and stuff, he might get it eventually.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If he's really afraid I'd wait. My son was afraid too but once he realized that his training wheels weren't really touching the ground he was good to go. You can adjust them, or bend them up so they don't really touch. Also it sounds scarry but my 2 oldest learnt how to ride without training wheels on a grassy hill, not a steep one though.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 11, 2011