Good punishment for 8 yr old with very smart mouth knowing its wrong

I have been working on this with her so long , ladies what would you do to teach respect and just shut up sometimes

Brandy928

Asked by Brandy928 at 5:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• First of all, Hibbing using soap is very bad and dangerous. Most soaps have antibacterial properties and are poisonous to ingest!

Secondly, no matter what method you use whether its spanking, time outs, taking things away etc... You must be consistent. Don't let her get away with it once and then punish next time. Explain what she did wrong and give the punishment for it. I'm a spanking mom, but spanking is a personal choice and doesn't work for all kids either. Do what you feel comfortable doing and what you feel fits the crime. But don't let her get away with anything wrong! Consistency is key!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I spanked mine and it worked very well.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Well, first you have to find out who or where she's getting it from. If she sees it as acceptable by someone close to her then it's not going to stop very easily. Then you have to discuss respect and boundries. Make sure she knows what's expected of her, and make sure she knows ahead of time what will happen if she screws up. Then when she starts sassing, you have to be consistent...follow through with everything you talked about. Keep following through everytime.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 5:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Soap is NOT the answer as it is NOT made to be ingested.

Try taking things away. She can earn them back. She needs NOTHING in her bedroom but the mattress, something for a few of her clothes, a lamp, and a simple clock.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I'm a big fan of "Commando Parenting", making them earn everything but the very basic necessities. That means no tv, computer, video games, toys, friends. etc. unless her behavior deserves it.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 5:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Salem : dove & ivory in bar form are acceptable. they're dye free and NOT dangerous in small doses.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• LMAO................. someone suggests spanking and gets 3 vote ups. I suggest a dye and perfume free bar soap and get vote downs? one of them tastes bad and is effective for verbal/mouth based offenses like a sassy mouth and back talk. the other is laying your hands on your child to ENCOURAGE them to be NICER? ...... hmm. interesting moms on here.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Since it isn't my child or a child I know I can' really advise an appropriate punishment. If it were my child, they would get sent to their beds, lose all privileges (toys, tv. etc) and have to apologize to me. t soem point in time during their "time-pout" I would go in there and explain why what they said or did was wrong and disrespectful etc, but as for the punishment itself I can only say hat it depends on the kid. I don't even punish my kids the exact same way because while it may work for one it doesn't always for the other.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I agree with those that suggested taking things away. Works well for me.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:04 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• all kids need consequences for their actions. take something away but stick to it for the amount of time you say. for example, if you take away the wii for 3 days, don't give it back in 4 hours.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 6:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011