I think my tv is broken?

So last spring/early summer, we bought a 40" LCD. It was fine for a while, then it started acting up but not all the time so I didnt do anything about it. Well, fast forward to now and I dont even want to use it because almost every time I turn it on it makes a loud buzzing/ static sound and the picture gets all funky, like completely distorted so I cant even tell what it is. It freaks the kid and the dog out and its just annoying.

From what Ive read online, this isnt an uncommon problem with this tv. I dont know if its worth having a repairman look at it...what do you think???

Aqua_Jen

Asked by Aqua_Jen at 5:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Technology

• I don't think anyone actually fixes tvs anymore. Just replace it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There ARE repair people, I just have no idea what they charge. To replace the tv is probably going to be around $450/$500 depending on what I get.
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I guess I'd see what's going to cost more, a repair or replacement. Find the best deal and go from there.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• have you got any warranty still on it? Maybe if you call the LCD they can help you. I mean its a costly tv and its been only a year and since that problem is common maybe there was a miss miss-manufacturer? If they cant do anything I would see how much they charge to fix it.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Call around and ask them how much they would charge with the symptoms you describe. Doesn't call anything to make that phone. I've got a broken one too and it's the tube screen I get a blank black screen on half of the TV. If I turn it off it becomes normal again but I have to keep turning it off and on. Soon or later I'll just have to get rid of it. I hate that because it suits my needs.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I dont know if we have the warranty on it still. Would the store keep a record of that? DH bought it and hes deployed now so I dont know... Its a Dynex, which is the Best Buy brand and they arent known for their superior customer service so I have a feeling I wont get anywhere with them...
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• MusicMomma, I know the feeling! I dont need anything fancy or huge! To be honest, this tv is a little overkill to me but whatever... he wanted it so he got it.
    Aqua_Jen

Comment by Aqua_Jen (original poster) at 10:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011