Job application problem/question

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm having a hard time deciding what to put in the section of "reason for leaving job." You see, I used to have a job that I left because I got hired at another place. However, that other job went through and I never worked for that second place. What can I put down as a reason for leaving my first job without it sounding bad or having to talk about why the second job offer fell through?

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 5:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• Better opportunity? Its been a long time since I filled an application out.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• was one of those jobs less than 9 months time or so? I'd never ever put a very short term job down, as it implies you're flighty and non committal

Is "relocation and job transfer not available" too much of a stretch for you?

also consider "accepted a position with more appropriate commute" and have answers rehearsed about why it never really happened.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Has this been awhile ago? Or did you just quit the previous job? If its been awhile ago put down whatever you've been doing since leaving your job. Otherwise just say looking for a better opportunity.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Babygirl, me too! :) That's why I'm so clueless. Unfortunately, I don't think better opportunity would fly. :( They would probably ask me what the "good opportunity" was, and I don't want the interviewer asking me about that second job that I never even worked at. Ugh, I wish this was easier. Plus, since I quit my first job, it's been almost a year since I've not worked.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Comment by Miss-Baby-Baker (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Better jod oppurtunity
    Brandy928

Answer by Brandy928 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• honestly I wouldn't lie, you quit that job for a better job, then they didnt hire you and they got you hopes up. So lesson learned, now you here applying for this job.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 6:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• The truth shall set you free!
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• So you've been a SAHM for a year? Just say you stayed home with your children but now its time to reenter the workforce.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I am an employer.......honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. I might would ask you about this, but it would just be a blip on my radar. I do hope you learned a lesson though....and I might would even ask if you felt you had learned something from the experience. Be honest, nobody makes the right decision 100% of the time.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011