What do you think about dog breed restrictions?

I live in a duplex with my parents and my husband and I have a 3 year old pitbull and my parents also have a 1 year old pitbull and these really are the best dogs we have ever owned. My parents and I have owned a shih tzu, chihuahua, & greyhound and these are by far the best we've had. We also have kids in the house, two 4 year olds and a 2 month old and so many times we get gasps from people who cannot believe we put our children in "danger" But I quickly shut their mouth when I tell them that the chihuahua we owned bit the kids more than once, yet our pitbulls never have. What do you think about all these breed restrictions? Especially the hate/fear society has with pitbulls? When once upon a time pitbulls were America's dog.

*No bashing please, especially if you haven't done your research when it comes to pitbulls because there are MANY myths out there.

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Pets

• I think the prejudice against pitbulls comes more from bad owners than bad dogs. People who only buy pitbulls because they want to look badass. Unfortunately it's way easier to ban a breed than to ban stupid idiots from buying dogs.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:48 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Pitbulls have a bad rep because people mistreat them and don't know how to handle the breed. I believe there should be dog owner restrictions for certain breeds. Unfortunately it is easier to get rid of the breed rather than get rid of stupid people.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 11:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i love pitts i have a blue pitt hes so sweet hyper but sweet i meet ppl who hate them b/c of what ppl do with them {fighting} if they banned my dog i couldent get rid of it id still keep him.
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:32 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• i am aware of the myths about pitbulls, i am aware that in most cases bad dogs = bad OWNERS. i have owned pitbulls in the past, all very loving and obedient.

that being said, i personally would never have one with small children in my home. however i don't desire owning any kind of dog while my children are small, dogs take lots of work and i do not have the time/patience. when my children get older we will consider buying a dog based on its temperament not on it's breed.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think dogs (pits too!) should be given a chance. If they end up nippy or aggressive, though..... done. A dog like that has enormous bite strength and if they "snapped" emotionally or mentally the results could be horrifying
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• ^ I agree, that's why I got rid of the chihuahua. Biting is unacceptable no matter the size of the dog because to me if they do it once they will do it again. And it's true they have strength but the locking jaw mechanism is a myth.
    GomezMami2908

Comment by GomezMami2908 (original poster) at 5:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It is a know fact that pit bulls when they get older personality change. When they do bite they do not release from the victims body. You have to kill the dog and break the jaws loose from the victims body.
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 10, 2011