Do you have fibroids?

How did you find out?

How do you even get them?

What are your symptoms?

What have you done to make them smaller or go away?

Is it life threatening?

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 6:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Health

• my mom did, she had to go for a routine smear, not sure how she got them but left untreated they can grow quite large, its not life threatening but they do check if their is any cancer in them, go to your doctor if your worried.
    DawnLauren

Answer by DawnLauren at 6:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Nope. My mom had them though.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 6:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes I found out I had one during a U/S when I was pregnant with my DS and my GYN has just monitored them(haven't changed in size) I never had any symptoms but some people have fertility issues,erratic monthly cycles(stronger cramps,extra bleeding). G/L. They can be hereditary and age related.also
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You can't make them smaller or make them go away. At menopause they shrink due to the fact that estrogen levels go way down. BUT if you are young and have fibroids, you will need to have them removed if they are too big.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 7:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I'm in my upper 30's and I found out when I was preggo with my third child last year. The dr.'s didn't make a big deal of it. My cramps have been worse and periods heavy at the beginning of my cycle. They were big then, not sure about now.
    horsesteelers

Comment by horsesteelers (original poster) at 7:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I found out I have them because of an ultrasound I had last September. I've had an ablation done but started bleeding. Turns out, I had an ovarian cyst, but when they were checking me out, they also found fibroids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• How did you find out?  Bleeding.

How do you even get them?  For me, it was a family tradition.

What are your symptoms?  Passing clots and lot and lots of bleeding.

What have you done to make them smaller or go away?  Hysterectomy.

Is it life threatening?  No.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I honestly dont know lol
    The dr told me I had them, but neglected to tell me that I was also pregnant at the time they did the ultrasound so Im not putting much stock in anything they said at this point.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011