Is this legal?

My kids go to a private parochial school. Last year the Spanish teacher quit suddenly, so they had no Spanish for the last two months of the year. This year the gym teacher had health problems and there will be no gym the remainder of the year. I thought schools had to offer a certain curriculum. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That really depends on who is their accrediting agency. If they are just under the local diocese, they may have freer range as to what they offer. If they are accredited by Middle States Associate of Colleges and Schools, North Central Association Commission on Accredidation and School Improvement, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, I would contact them to find out.
    missgaelite

Answer by missgaelite at 7:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If you are paying for it I would def look into getting a discount for your children missing out on those classes! Public and private schools have different curriculum and standards so you'll actually have to look into that to know if it's illegal or not.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 7:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Rules & laws vary state to state- but I can tell you that they wouldn't cut what they didnt think they could legally cut. My dau is in public school & they've been talking about cutting all specials: music, art & gym. We are all petitioning to keep them from doing that. They've already extended the bussing to over 2 miles instead of 1 mile. Our lovely governor is only going to make it worse too. I wish you luck. Just make your voices heard- they cant ignore ya forever! :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There are certain classes which are "elective" and certain that are mandatory. Spanish is definately elective, and is not mandated to be offered.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• IDK if it's legal or not, but that stinks for the kids! I'm sure you are paying good money to send them there too. I would make it known that you are not happy with their decision not to hire a sub for the last 2 months. Get some other parents on board if you can.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 7:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't know either. I would say something. Only because you're paying for his private education, and I would expect those things. You can probably call the State Board of Education.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Idk maybe private schools have different standards than public?
    Anonymous

• Yes its legal.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Weird, but sounds legal since private schools operate differently than public. I'd look into it though, since you're paying for that curriculum.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011