Chores for the kiddies

Do you teach your little ones how to clean up after themselves?
My kids are 7,5,and 2. My 7 and 5 year old has chores like cleaning their room and picking up the living and I let them wipe down the bthrm sink and they like to help me load the dishwasher. We also teaching my 2 yr old to pick up stuff too.

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 7:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Mine are 6, 5, and 3. We do the same thing you do. Pretty much if they make a mess then they can clean it up.. for the most part.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 7:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My children have had to pick up after themselves from the start.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes - they mess it up, they clean it up! My older ones (9, 11, and 13) sweep the kitchen on a nightly rotating basis; vacuum and dust their own rooms weekly plus one additional room of my choice; clean the vanity and toilet in their own bathrooms (I still clean the showers/tubs); wash, dry and fold at least one load of laundry/week; put the dishes they use into the dishwasher; etc.

Answer by missanc at 7:52 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• @missanc you sound like my mom.
    kyheavensmom

Comment by kyheavensmom (original poster) at 7:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes. From ate 2 + my DD learned to pick stuff up after herself. Though she still needs a reminder at times.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:05 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes. I think it is super important to teach children responsibilities as early as possible. Children aren't going to have a free and easy life once they're out on their own, so the earlier you teach them responsibility (including financial) the better they're going to be in the long run. It teaches them a lot more then how to clean up after themselves. I think it's a vital part of being a child, because when they're young you can instill in them just about anything you want. It's important to get those really strong morals, values, and structured teachings into them to help guide them to be good individuals.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011