Family gatherings in your home...

when you have family gatherings, say with close family members like parents or inlaws, grandparents, aunts, etc, how long do they typically stay?

today i had my grandma over (for her own belated birthday party) my aunt, and my parents. it was nothing huge, just cake, apple fritters and coffee. i also laid out the devilled eggs leftover from yesterday. my grandma & aunt rode in together, arrived at 2 and left at 2:30ish. long enough to stay for a piece of cake, a few minutes of chit-chat, and leave. i was a little offended, but they do this to my mom too when she has family gatherings. (not to mention, at Thanksgiving, my aunt takes half the leftovers but neither of them offer to help my mom with the dishes, much less bring their own dirty dishes to the sink)

i get that when people are a guest in your home they don't have to lift a finger to helping clean up. however ive always felt eating and running is very rude. this party was for her and she bailed half an hour later, and the drive over here was just as long for her. this was planned a week in advance so i know her afternoon schedule was clear.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 7:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• i think that i would be offended too maybe talking to her and asking her if she had any other plans that you werent aware of b/c you were really looking forward to spending some time with her on her special day. this is something that i am not use to myself b/c i have the exact opposite problem people stay too long!!! but i hope this helps!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 7:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Don't take it personally. Some of we old people have aches and pains and don't want to go visit anyway. When we do have to we don't want to stay long. It's not that we don't like people. It's just that we'd rather be home. If I stay longer than an hour I start having anxiety attacks.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• We always plan a few hours if it's a meal. Maybe 1 hour or a little more for cake and coffee
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• lol @amber my friends and my parents always stay too long too. but my mother in law and my grandma & aunt never stay long enough!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Do not ask her over any more. She doesn't feel comfortable at your house or she would stay longer.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011