For breastfeeding mothers. Please help.

My son and I have a beautiful nursing relationship when we do nurse. But I have been supplementing with formula and I notice my supply decreasing gradually. I started supplementing a couple times a week and then it turned into a couple times a day and now its about every other feeding is formula. I know its only a matter of time until breastfeeding will totally be over. But when I only breastfeed he isn't satisfied... Help?

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 3:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start pumping and saving your milk. It's ok if you only get 1oz. At least he'll be getting breast milk. Also, eat oatmeal and it'll increase your supply!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:18 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The supplementing is probably what is causing your milk supply to go down :( Check out www.kellymom.com for suggestions -- also see if you can contact a local La Leche League member for help, or attend a group! Don't give up!!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 3:13 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The nursing relationship is the ultimate supply and demand. I agree that if you start to pump your milk your supply will start to increase again, because the more he nurses (or you pump), the more your body is going to register that milk is in demand, so the more it will produce. The more you supplement, then the less your baby is nursing, so your body is getting the signal that the milk isn't needed, so it's not producing as much.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:27 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• cont
    Also, keep in mind, barring any medical problems for you and or your little one, once you re-establish your milk supply, he will not starve without the supplements (don't eliminate them cold turkey - you need to re-establish your milk). When he needs more, then for a day or so, he's going to nurse more often, then, after a day or so, your milk supply will "catch up to him" so to speak - he won't be going hungry, just needing to eat more often. Then, you'll be fine for a decent amount of time, then your supply will need another "boost", and he'll nurse more often for a day or so again, and so on...
    sailorwifenmom

• Definately check out the breastfeeding group and kellymom.com for tips on weaning from suppliments. Your supply will increase.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:31 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• What helped me was fenugreek,oatmeal,water and pumping.
    CMsMommy

Answer by CMsMommy at 7:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The more that you supplement the more that your supply is going to drop. This link is great:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html

Supplementing tells your body that it is making enough or too much milk and needs to make less...so it does. Nursing frequently tells your body it needs to make more milk, so it does.

One very important thing that link doesn't address...NO MORE BOTTLES! Even while you're still supplementing NO BOTTLES. Use a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS). The benefit of this is that it provides the stimulation to your body to make more milk and it gets baby used to only nursing and not bottles.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• i breastfeed my newborn until now that he is 3 months old, what the doctors and other moms who shared with me about breastfeeding is that eating vegetables and having soups is one of the best ways to increase milk.. once you started giving your baby a formula milk the supplement will decrease he may now enjoy his bottle feeding insted of breastfeeding... i agree that u pump whenever you go out home and you live your child, for him to still look for your milk...

you may breastfeed your child whenever you are tired or sick of cough and cold... thats the magic of breastfeeding far from sickness..

babykojohnville

Answer by babykojohnville at 9:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• This is why you hear so many saying whatever you do do NOT supplement and how formula is so dangerous. Your supply is most certainly in jeopardy due to the formula. Demand = Supply. Your child is not demanding milk so your body is not supplying it. If you would like to save your breastfeeding relationship drop a bottle feeding a day. Just remember this has nothing to do with your ability to make milk and everything to do with supplementation. Drop those supplements and save that breastfeeding relationship, your child deserves it!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• toss the bottles and start nursing full-time again.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:53 AM on Dec. 1, 2008