What to do?

So, my DD (20 months) usually takes an afternoon nap from 3-5 then goes to bed around 9pm. Well, tonight she took forever to take a nap. She didn't fall asleep until 4:30pm. She was miserable alll morning and had a very long day yesterday. Now she doesn't want to get up. I tried to wake her up 2 times and she screamed and cried and fell back asleep. Should I just let her sleep? Pray she doesn't wake up at 11pm and want to play. OR do I keep trying to wake her up? That sounds so mean!

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter did this the other day. I tried to get her to wake up and stay awake so she didn't get up late and think it was time to play. She just wan't having the waking up. So I let her go ahead and sleep. She wound up sleeping all night. Almost 12 hours. Sometimes they just need extra sleep.
    MommyNMay

Answer by MommyNMay at 9:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I agree with MommyNMay. Sometimes my kids would sleep extra and I just figured they needed it. Same thing with eating. Sometimes they just need some extra.
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 9:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I agree with the previous posts too. She may just need extra sleep. But on the chance that she wakes up super early...if I were you, I'd try to turn in early as well.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My 20 month old son does this from time to time. Surprisingly, he always wakes up at the same time in the morning no matter when he goes to bed. If we have a very busy day, he may be in bed at 6pm for the night. I just roll with it. If he hasn't napped yet, and he is seeming tired after 4:30 or 5, I'll keep him up with dinner and a bath before I tuck him in bed closer to 6.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:36 AM on Apr. 11, 2011