Do kids still sit "Indian-style"?

Or, to be politically-correct, is it called something else? I'm a grandma, and my daughter informed me that it isn't used anymore. Thanks for your help!

kmhmom999

Asked by kmhmom999 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• criss cross apple sauce , yes they do
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I still sit indian style....
    I hate all this politically correct crap, especially when it's not meant to hurt anyone.
    Anonymous

• criss cross apple sauce
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• my kids at school, ballet, gymnastics, and everywhere else the teachers and coaches always say criss cross applesauce. in my head I say/think indian style because when I was born in 1981 thats what it was called
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yes- like the others said, they now use the MOST ASININE name for it. My DD was corrected at school for being "offensive" when she said "indian style"... She then proceeded to tell her teacher that she is 1/4 cherokee, and isn't offended.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• to Me, it will always be Indian style...and yes, politically correct is a bunch of crap. To my kids...it is the criss cross apple sauce.

ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My son just informed me that it's called "hands in your lap" at his school... I still call it indian style. lol
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 8:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Thanks! I was just stunned when my daughter said that the term was frowned upon. I guess I need to get with the times, as crazy as they may be!
    kmhmom999

Comment by kmhmom999 (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Never thought that it was offensive to me. I'm 99 percent native. hmmm..
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have to stop myself from saying Indian style because my kids have no clue what I'm talking about. They learned criss cross applesauce at school.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011