Cop pepper sprays a baby squirrel?

Have you seen this? What possible justification is there for his actions? What do you think should happen to the officer?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8235325/cop-pepper-sprays-baby-squirrel

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 8:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I wonder if the person who gave me a thumbs down would be just as scared of a baby squirrel....gimme a break...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Ok, i just watched the video and I have to agree with jewjewbee and eekageek: that squirrel was acting very unnaturally! I love animals and HATE to see them suffer, but when children are in danger, there is no contest. If there was no other way to handle the situation (and I don't know from the video) I would have done the same thing.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:36 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• at least he didn't use a taser..... OMG the training (or lack of) these people go thru. It's disgusting. And SCARY.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Crazy as it sounds, I've actually been attacked by a squirrel (still have scars from it, btw). I was about 10 years old. After I was able to get it off me, I ran into the house and the thing kept jumping up towards my head, but fortunately the screen door stopped it. My dad was able to catch it with a box because it wouldn't leave, and he called animal control. As it turned out, it had distemper which explained its aggressive behavior.

While I think the cop could have handled it more professionally, it's better that it was stopped if it was chasing students and couldn't be scared off. I have lived in a major city (Boston), and park squirrels there will frequently come up to people to try to get food, but they are also fairly easy to scare away. From what was described by this story and video, it seems rather odd that the squirrel wouldn't leave, and I would be suspicious about it being ill, too.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 10:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• the report said he was chasing children. a rabid squirrel or raccoon or possum will chase people. We recently had two rabid dogs in our county scratch their way into the back door of a residence to attack a woman. I had the pleasure of treating a woman with a series of Rabies Vaccinations after being bit by a rabid squirrel at Busch Gardens.Quite painful and expensive not covered by insurance. The policeman did the right thing with the report of what was happening.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• come to think of it,......squirrels usually run in the opposite direction..hmmmmmm
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No. I live in the country where rabid squirrels are an occurrence and sometimes outnumber the people. Duh...
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:46 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• So here's the crazy thing ... and I know nothing about squirrels in TX but ... here in FL they will run from you; I've seen some steal food; but none ever chase anyone!

However I have several friends in New England that say their local squirrels are insane and will stalk you and chase you and steal food basically from right in front of you etc...sooo it may or may not have been acting erratically.

My question is don't they have a wildlife rescue type organization in the area? Wouldn't they have been better suited to take on whatever squirrel problem??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I just have to confess that when I first just *saw the question (before I came in & saw there was a *for real* issue here; I laughed. The idea of those words being put together (cop, pepper-spray & squirrel) just never went together in my brain. So now on to the actual video... Ok here -- if anyone has ever been around orphaned or baby squirrels - they can and do become people friendly. I would be worried if this were an adult squirrel doing this... but being a baby...Uh Uh... And no one can convince me that with this being at a MIDDLE SCHOOL these kids didn't condition this baby squirrel to come up to people. I can see clearly a bunch of boys offering it potato chips, or a gob of girls throwing french fries to it. IF this baby squirrel wanted to be aggressive it could have been on that cops head in 3 seconds flat. Wildlife peeps should have been called out to trap and relocate it. The cop is a wimp, should be ashamed.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:09 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• The cop did the right thing, squirrels can be mean.

They are a member of the rat family, and they have teeth like a rat too.

They crack walnuts with their teeth, I don't think you would want them biting a little kid, let alone an adult.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2011