If you're left handed and at least 25 years old....

how were you treated in school? do you remember?

I am 29 right now, born Oct 1981. I have no recollection of daycare and preschool but in kindergarten being left-handed was seen as a disability. They called in specialists to train it out of me. My 6 year old is 100% left handed and I had some anxiety when he began school. I was surprised to see how in just one "generation" its understood, accepted, allowed, etc.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 8:19 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in

• great, my 2 year old is left handed and here in Mexico...this should be a field day with me and the politicos ; )
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I WAS left-handed but went to Catholic school and so it was trained out of me also.....DH is the same way
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• my dh & I are both Righty's but all 3 of our kids are Lefty's. In preschool, they had my son write with his RIGHT hand...and I was really upset with that...the other 2 are still little (2 & 4) so we'll see.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My mom is a lefty and the nuns uses to hit her with the metal sides of rulers when they saw her writing left handed.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 8:41 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Im 27....Lefty...
    I just remember it being as different.. My mom had a harder time teaching me to do things like tie my shoe & stuff.. I grew up loving that I was left handed..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My sis and I are both leftys, and I remember it was difficult at times in school because most of the teachers were rightys and tried to get us to do things 'their' way. (like throw a ball in gym class for example). It could be very frustrating at times to be a lefty in a right-handed world!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I was very lucky.I didn't have any teachers try to change me.They even had me turn my paper so that I could learn to write holding a pencil correctly.The only problem I remember was most of the desks were for righthanded students.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 9:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Both of my parents are leftys, my older sister and I are leftys too. I'm 45 and never had any problems with being lefty in school. I learned to adapt to a right handed world. It wasn't that difficult. The only problem we have is family dinners, but we seat all the lefties on one side of the table and the rightys on the other side.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 10:02 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I was born in 1960, am left-handed and never had a problem with it. My father is left-handed and nobody tried to "train" him otherwise. I guess it was just accepted in Scotland :)
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

Next question in
Advise?

Next question overall (General Parenting)
Do kids still sit "Indian-style"?