Ballet vs gymnastics

I am going to sign my daughter up for classes, she will be 4 in december. The best options that will hold her attention will be ballet or gymnastics. Now if you ask her she will say ballet but that is only b/c she dosent know what gymnastics is.

I am thinking of putting her into gymnastics b/c I am thinking at this small age she will get the most out of that class like she will learn ways to fall, tumble, jump, etc which can be used in dancing too, maybe?

So which would you do? Or if you had a 3yo in ballet did they benefit from it?

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 8:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ballet for her age group is very similar to tumbling. they often do balance beams, parachute time, etc.

My daughter is almost 5 and in May will have her 3rd annual dance recital. (ballet, jazz, and now a little hip hop)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:23 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Unless a child were overweight (or severly underweight, like anorexic or something), it scares me that someone would be worried about their daughter's body fat percentage, like that's a huge deciding factor in one choosing to put their FOUR year old into a class.
    Anonymous

• Well my daughter is 2 and I have her in gymnastics and she loves it so much. It really helps her get some energy out.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and I just started her in gymnastics last week....she loved it...she was the youngest by a couple years but had a blast...I think 4 is a great age for it. Some places have both..why don't you sign her up for one day a week for each and see which one she likes better? Maybe she'll love both. The reason I did it, was for structure...they don't let them get away with anything. Stand in line, no running, etc....my daughter has always been home with me, so it's beneficial that she have other authority figures telling her what to to do :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 8:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I like either or. My daughter is almost 5 and is in preschool dance, which is a little bit of everything...tumbling, ribbon twirling, tap, and ballet. Next fall she'll be doing ballet as long as she still likes it. She enjoys leaping and twirling :) You can always try one and try the other and then decide. Most places will let you try one session for free or discounted.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• oh - usually for your little ones age group they don't call it ballet, even though it's at a ballet or dance school. they call it creative movement or something of that nature
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I wish I could sign her up for both but we live in the sticks so it will be a 30-45min drive for class. That gas adds up =( None of the schools here do combos again living in the middle of nowhere so options are very limited. I have done extensive searchs via word of mouth & google. I will make phone calls tomorrow b/c some of the sites said spring classes so maybe we can start earlier then I was thinking! I always thought they did fall/winter classes usually but guess I am wrong!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have a daughter in gymnasics and a girlfriend with a daughter in ballet she started at about 3 with the ballet and now spends 6 weeks every summer with the Joffrey ballet company. She is exquisitely poised and well mannered and very confident, has like a 3% body fat. My daughter has like a 4% body fat and has alot of self control also. I would think the two would be about the same as far as results with physique, fitness and self confidence. It can get expensive though the longer you stick with it. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i have to say it depends on the child my step daughter loves ballet she allways has
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2011