Do you let your teenagers room look like a hurricane went through it or require they clean it (often or periodically?)

I vascilate between closing the door/forgetting about it and freaking out he can live like that.....

got2boyztoo

Asked by got2boyztoo at 8:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I required that they clean the hurricane during every monsoon season! (I raised boys) My ex SIL got her daughter a new bed for Christmas one year... I went over to help her set it up - when we took her old bed down there was LITERALLY a SOLID BLOCK of junk under her bed. She had been shoving stuff under there for so long, I swear it all looked like a compressed square of junk! But the rest of her room was straightened up. ~ And the kicker was... the girl got upset AT US for embarrassing HER (because we found it).
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I often get stuck with this one too. Sometimes I think it is their personal space and I let it ride as long as it is not dirty and gross. Very rarely do I allow food or drinks in their bedrooms. I do try to encourage them to keep a neat and clean room, but they don't mind and their friends don't seem to mind the state of it either?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My kids are not yet teens, (almost 5, almost 7, and almost 8) but they are required to have their rooms clean by bedtime every night. It's a good habit for them to fall into. When they decide to stop cleaning it, I get out the garbage bag.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 8:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• When my kids were younger I was more on top of their rooms, now I am at the point where as long as there isn't garbage or dirtly clothes everywhere it's their problem as long as it doesn't spill over into my part of the house :o)

I do *encourage* them to keep their rooms clean, I think they need to respect their belongings ya know? I set the best example I can and now I suppose I have to wait for them to emmulate it.

I've not yet given up hope :o)
    qwietpleez

Answer by qwietpleez at 8:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• No I didnt allow it to EVER look messy. When they were small all they way till they both moved to college, if they didnt clean the room and keep things put away, I went in and cleaned it out for them and they didnt get their stuff back. By the time they were both 10 they always kept everything picked up and put away. I love my adult kid's who are neat freaks.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Mine are all grown now but no, as teens they were not allowed to keep messy rooms. It's not hard to put clothes away as they get washed, to make a bed when you get out of it or to put things in their place. My sons learned young to keep their rooms clean (because we kept our home clean) and by their teen years it was habit and preferred by them.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• He cleans it on occasion. I normally just shut the door and ignore the mess.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Mine are 21 on her own now she still keeps a clean room and house .My 19 year old went away for college she has her own one apartment and she keeps a clean room and house as well. I have to say they was picking up behind themselves a young as 18 months it was not a requirement it was a must to keep whatever room they played in clean. I did not clean up there mess they did..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 11:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• they don't get to go or do anything if their rooms are not cleaned..... no cell phone, no internet, no video games, no friends over, no going anywhere (except school).
    Wyndi

Answer by Wyndi at 1:11 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Cleaning their room is part of their weekly chores and is how they get money. But, I don't check, I don't have to look at it so whatever.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:39 PM on Apr. 11, 2011