Should you wake a sleeping baby to nurse if you are leaking or full?

Because I know its bad to have your milk sit there and your baby not drink it. It decreases your supply if it sits there. But do I wait for him to be hungry or should I wake him to nurse?

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 3:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have done both ive woken to nurse them and ive pumped it out .... either way it just depended on how long my lil guy was sleeping if he hadnt' slept long i pumped if he'd been dozin for a while i'd wake him up

rachael596

Answer by rachael596 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Pump and save it in the fridge, don't want your supply to decrease.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I was going to say the same thing as the PP. Don't fully express one side, maybe, if you think the baby will wake up soon, or you can have your SO give them a bottle of EBM if you're empty when the baby does wake up. It's always good to have a stock on hand for whatever comes up where you can't be there to nurse (or the days when your milk supply is catching up to baby's increasing needs).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:38 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If you wake the baby, your body will continue to produce milk at that time of day, and if it's a time when the baby is usually sleeping, then you will be engorged during that nap. Let sleeping babies lie. If it's a newborn, i'd wake after 4 hrs of sleep to feed, maybe 5.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• There isn't really a set answer on this one. Generally I say let the baby sleep. If you want to build a freezer stash (for emergencies, going back to work, donating, etc.) then pump it all out. If you don't want to but are in pain pump just enough to relieve engorgement.

The exception is health issues, wait gain problems, etc.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I have to agree with jaycee1124! If I am engorged I usually just pump though...you never know when you might need it and it does help to protect your supply!
    bamaunicorn

Answer by bamaunicorn at 9:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• The doctor will tell you that as long as the baby is over his birth weight then he can sleep...but pump the milk and save it for fear that your supply will decrease. Get a little hand held manual pump ( I liked dr. Browns) or you can even rent a modella electric pump.
    jessicer421

Answer by jessicer421 at 9:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Pump and freeze it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• For those who don' thave a pump if your income is low enough to receive WIC, then you can get a Medela Pump In Style from them. It does make it so you don't receive formula, but if you are pumping you wouldn't really need the formula.
    treefroggie77

Answer by treefroggie77 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I would pump. You can get one pretty cheap there are hand pumps and then lower cost pumps for about $30. Also some insurances will help you get a pump. My BFF got one when she delivered it was about a $300 pump for free. GOOD LUCK!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 10:29 AM on Dec. 1, 2008