Are these contractions or something else?

I'm due in 12 days and lately, every once in awhile I will get these horrible pains in my belly, right by my belly button. I've asked a bunch of women if they thought this was labor, but all I get was , "Everyone is different, it could be." The pain isn't a 'cramp' pain, it feels more like a torn muscle. It stops me dead in my tracks and I can't move. After about a minute it goes away.

I don't want to be the woman who cries labor all the time, but this is my first and I'm so afraid that I'm not going to know when I'm in labor and it's going to be too late. Are these in fact contractions or could it be something else? Anyone else have this problem?

I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday, do you think I should wait and ask them what it is till then, or call now?

Born2BAMommy5

Asked by Born2BAMommy5 at 3:39 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I FEEL YOUR PAIN, I'm due in 4 days and scared outa my mind as well! I know everyone has their own labor stories, but with the contractions my OB assured me that unless they are 5 min apart and the same consistancy (length/pain) then you are having false contrations....but contractions that are good signs that you are well on your way! My Braxton Hicks have been with me my entire pregnancy and until about a week ago have made me miserable....SO GOOD LUCK!

ps I think of it this way, be miserable in my own bed or in a hospital.....I choose my bed :)
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 3:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yeah i feel the same way how will i know that they are real contractions i have 9 or 8 days left i think 8 now.my due date is december 8th.
    mckowntasha

Answer by mckowntasha at 3:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I had terrible Braxton Hicks and they felt like what you've described. I'd say that unless they become regular, you are ok to wait until your appointment.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 5:47 AM on Dec. 1, 2008