Did you ever wonder what it would be like to be laid off while you were pregnant ?

I can't help to read the news everyday and make it personal. I , and I am sure, many other people do the same. Emotions, are what make us human. To separate that from what is happening int he world is impossible for me. So those of you who says that some of us takes things to personally, I want you to understand - I am so happy that many people have that ability. SO, to continue with the story: Laid Off and Pregnant Health Coverage and Job Hunting After a Layoff By Donna Smith 4 Comments View all > bookmark & share | print The economy is in a downward spiral, and that means many Americans are losing their jobs every day – and some of them are pregnant women. While the implications of job loss are scary for everyone, the loss of health benefits and thoughts of finding another job can be extra daunting for a woman expecting a child. Becky McInerny of Indianapolis, Ind., was almost 8 months pregnant with her second child when she was laid off. "My manager, a very sweet woman, was kind enough to give me a heads up that I would be a part of the next shift of layoffs," she says. "The company was in the process of possibly going bankrupt, although no one really knew that. The layoffs were in effort to make the company in better financial state." Under COBRA, the mom-to-be can continue to buy her same health plan for up to 18 months. McInerny was scared at first, but then became somewhat thankful. "I really didn't like my job and wasn't sure if I was going to come back after my maternity leave," she says. "My dream has always been to stay at home, but we didn't do a very good job of planning for it financially." Questions will undoubtedly fill the mom-to-be's thoughts: How will I get health insurance to cover the pregnancy? Who will want to hire someone that's pregnant? Should I hide the pregnancy when looking for another job? If married, can we live on one income? And is it even legal to lay off a woman who is expecting? The Legalities http://www.pregnancytoday.com/articles/career-and-maternity-leave/laid-off-and-pregnant-6366/

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I was laid off when i was pregnant, wasn't fun lol
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It happens more than you think.
    Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I lost my job a couple months before I got pregnant a few years ago, but luckily I was able to get on my husband's insurance with no gap in coverage. I did some temporary jobs while I was pregnant, and then I've been a SAHM since my son was born. My bank went through a merger where almost all the corporate people received a severance package. I chose not to apply for the few corporate jobs available with the new bank, because it would involve moving farther away than I would like. The only jobs that were really saved were the branch jobs. It was really scary at first, but everything has worked out fairly well. We have to be careful with our spending with one income, but it's possible if you're careful. My husband also does some web design, graphic art, illustrations, etc. on the side from time to time, so that helps too. I'm hoping we can manage it w/ 1 income--at least until DS is in school--daycare is really expensive!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 10, 2011