My daughter gets up 1-3 times a night. When do mom's sleep? HELP ME.

My daughter recently got a new twin bed and she is 2. She gets up 1-3 times depending on the night. She gets her animal and walk to my room. (I think it is to see I am there) and then I walk her to her bed and she usually takes a few minutes to go back to bed.

I'm not sure if she is having nightmares since she does cry out once and a while.

Do I get a gate infront of her door and direct her back to her bed? Is it normal?

When do I get to sleep through the night.

Im exhausted!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Why is she getting up? To pee? Just to check on you? My son used to do this a lot. Sometimes it would be to get a drink, sometimes just to see if Im there I guess. He still does it sometimes and he's 4. My 5 y/o daughter doesnt do it at all though. Does she sleep with a tv on? Have you tried putting her to bed a little later?
    k.raine

Answer by k.raine at 9:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• There are many books on sleep, helping train to sleep, and parenting, websites as well! It is so dependant on the individual child, childs' health and your parenting style. My personal experience with four children was "keep them in a crib as long as possible so I can sleep and they were safe"
    cbedoula

Answer by cbedoula at 9:22 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• wait..........hold the phone. Moms are supposed to sleep?
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:44 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't believe in being able to sleep train kids. From having two kids, and running a day care with many kids in and out, I've seen that some kids naturally sleep better, and some are more wakeful. It doesn't have anything to do with cribs, or crying to sleep or co-sleeping, it's just the child. Some kids pass out the second their head hits the pillow, others take several stories and a half an hour to sleep. When your child is emotionally ready to sleep through the night, she will. Some take longer than others. I do not think that gates usually help, because it invites a child to find clever and usually dangerous ways to get over them. Just keep doing what you're doing by bringing her back to her bed! She will sleep through the night soon. I hope it's soon!
    caitlingreetis

Answer by caitlingreetis at 1:39 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Was she fine in her crib? If so, I'd move her back to the crib. If it is necessary for her to sleep in her twin bed, I've had success with my second child using the Super Nanny "back to bed" technique.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:32 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• We may be terrible, but my approach when my kids have done this is to ask them if they are OK. If not sick, they are escorted back to their bed without any more interaction- ie no lights, no giggles, no bedtime story, no fun. Once they are in bed, I will stay with them just long enough to calm them down, tell them it's bedtime, and then go.

Once they discover there is no fun or playing with Mom, they give it up really quickly. But, if they do need something (nightmare, not feeling well) we will help with that when they are back in their rooms. And if they are thirsty, they will get a sippy cup of water by their beds, to stop that excuse.

My daughter started sleeping way better between 18 months and 2 years. The trick was when she could put herself back to sleep. I think she got some comfy bedding and maybe a stuffed animal, and it helped her do that. But every kid is different.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:06 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• Our son will be four next month, and about a year ago he started waking up in the middle of the night. He climbs into our bed, and as soon as we realize he's there, he gets put right back in his bed. That can happen up to 10 times a night. I wish I had an answer for you!
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have an almost 7 yr old and a 4 yr old and haven't had an uninterrupted sleep since my first was born. My youngest has sleep apnea and is up 2-4 times a night. It's just the way it is. I'm hopeful that one day it may change, but it is what it is. Sorry there's no magic wand.
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 9:34 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I don't know. Mines one. He normally sleeps threw the night. If not he just wants a drink. So I get it, and tell him its bed time and walk away. He goes back to sleep pretty fast when he knows theres no fun going on.
    Dolybye

Answer by Dolybye at 11:29 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my oldest is 7 and still has these phases. we make sure hes ok and walk him back to bed, rub his back for minute to reassure him then let him know its still bedtime and we leave sometimes during these phases he will arrive in our room 3-4 times a night usually I catchan hour nap mid day if I can when this happens.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 3:00 AM on Apr. 12, 2011