When your 2 year old screams do you ignore it?

It is so hard to ignore the screeching scream from my daughter. She screams so loud I want to do anything to stop it and sometimes give her what she wants knowing it is bad. Do you completely ignore the scream for food, or water , or something she wants- a toy she cannot reach???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i make my 2 year old talk to me what he wants.. I NEVER give him what he wants because he is screaming.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• If they scream do not respond. By doing so allows they to gain control over you. In a calm voice let them know they will only be heard if they speak nicely to ask for something. Don't worry about other people looking if you are out and your child does this. Just be calm and enforce the rule. If the child continues, go elsewhere so you can handle the situation appropriately. If you have given in before it may take some time to show her how to handle her requests in a new manner.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 9:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• By the time either of my kid's was 2 y.o I KNEW what each scream meant and if it wasn't life threatening, yes I ignored it. I didn't give in just to shut them up. Not every Mom or Dad can develop the ignore them mindset and make it work. I could, but I had a noisy parrot before kid's and trust me the parrot is WAY worse than a toddler.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Screaming is usually a toddler's way to get attention. So, I know that my child is not hungry, thirsty and in no danger then I do my best to not respond to it. If you react to it then they will see that as the way to get what they want. I do my best to talk to my daughter in a calm voice and tell her that first I can't understand what she wants if she screams and if she wants me to do something for her then she has to talk like Mommy is doing so that I can understand her, that usually works. Good luck.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I don't give in, I try to reason with him and if that doesn't work I try like hell to ignore him. As long as you know he's not in need of anything and is just being unreasonable. It's hard but it's better than having a spoiled child to the point of no return.
    jspenny2705

Answer by jspenny2705 at 9:06 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I do ignore the screaming. If you react, it just reinforces screaming as acceptable communication. I wait until they are done screaming, then calmly ask if they would like whatever it is they are screaming for. If they are screaming to get their way, I flat out refuse to give in, even if it is no big deal. I've noticed with 2 out of my 3 that if I give in to the smallest tantrum, they push and push and push even more for days, testing how much control they have. They quickly learn that is not a way to get what they want. Two year olds do get very frustrated when they cannot explain what they want, which is sometimes why they scream. You just have to figure out if it is a tantrum or just a frustration screaming and then react accordingly. They understand when you tell them, "We don't scream." Not that they can restrain themselves, but if you keep saying it, they'll eventually remember.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 11:30 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• No screaming gets you nothing but a time out, my girls know that. Never give in or they will repeat what works for them.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:34 PM on Feb. 19, 2013