It appears as though my mother may be suffering from multiple sclerosis and I'm scared for her...

13 years ago my mother's doctor suspected that she had the disease...she has most every symptoms of the disease and when they did testing and said that it was a possibility and that she'd need retesting as she was not bad enough for it to be worrisome yet.

She has not returned for testing but it's getting worse lately. She's very forgetful, sometimes she says things that just do not make sense and she has frequent muscle spasms and she's losing the ability to use her right arm and it appears as though walking is getting harder and harder. She is also progressively losing control of her bladder...she's only 40 years old!

I'm so worried for her, she is scared and I just don't know what to say and she refuses to go back and get tested again. Things are just getting bad, her forgetfulness and inability to use her right arm are starting to affect her in many ways and it's scary when I'm not around to assist her...I worry every day when she drives to work and I just don't know what to do :(

What can I do for her? How can I persuade he to see the doctor and what are the best things to say to someone that is frightened of a disease they may have or do have? I am scared to say the wrong thing as she is obviously very emotional.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• My mother has MS and I have a friend who also has MS. It is a progressive disease and there are treatments (not cures) that can lessen the symptoms and frequency of the exacerbations, so it really is in her best interest to get to a doctor and get a definite diagnosis. The medications could help at least slow down the progress. I understand how scared she must be but she really needs the help that is out there for her.... she needs to get educated on it, find some support from other people who have the MS. It's scary, yes, but she really should be more afraid of letting it go on without help.

Hugs and good luck to you and your mom.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My mom also has MS, she just found out maybe five years ago. Google for MS support groups and information. Contact your local support group. Maybe once your mom know she's not alone and that it's *normal* for what she's going through with MS, it will help.
    Also what I do is go into the doctor with my mom. That way I can ask questions too and hear what the doctor has to say in case she forgets.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 10:39 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Hi there, I have Multiple Sclerosis and was diagnosed when I was just 18 years old. I am 38 now and I have a really good neurologist. You should encourage your Mom to get an MRI, her symptoms sound a lot like mine! She should get diagnosed and not be scared! It is hard but the symptoms can be managed! Don't give up on getting her help - your support is so important! The disease does NOT cause death and getting it diagnosed now will help her manage her symptoms!!! :O)
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2011