HELP!! My son will be 2 by the end of DEC... and he doenst talk!

At first when he was around 15 months i was very worried. I kinda forgot about it for a while and thought maybe i should just give him time because not every kid is the same. Now he's 23 months old and doenst say much. I dont kow if it is that i just dont understand him or that he just wont say anything. We try to teach him alot and he just wont even TRY to repeat what we are saying. He doest a lot of baby talk though. At this point i feel i should be taking him to a speech therapy place. I dont know what to think. I wish you girls coudl tell me this is goign to be okay and that this is perfectly normal. but its so hard not to think that it's my fault....I feel like a bad mother and it' so hard to see kids his age or even younger talking alot and saying so many words... HELP!!

firstXmomTX

Asked by firstXmomTX at 4:02 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it doesnt matter, start worrying once hes 5 and doesnt talk. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• If you have insurance get him a referral now for speech therapy. My son was a late talker and stutters because it runs in the family, he is 10 now and has been in speech therapy at school, your baby may also have nothing to say! lol, sing with him and teach him songs, when my son sings he doesn't stutter and it comforts him.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 5:10 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• I don't want to scare you...it may be absolutely nothing at all wrong. I've seen kids just start saying sentences all of a sudden. But, a lack of speech is a warning sign for Autism. I think that it would be better to have an evaluation done and rule out any problems like that, because with the Autism Spectrum Disorders, early intervention is the key to successful skill development.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 5:45 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• you could have his hearing checked my daughter wasnt saying much after she got tubes put in her ears she see the speech therapists and now shes in preschool that has one she will be 4 in april and still has problems talking he might just be one of the kids that want to be lazy and not talk good luck
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 6:43 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• children differ. the important thing is does he understand when you speak to him? some kids are just observers adn dont speak out for awhile. my yougnest will be 2 on the 19th. she just started chattering tons more within the last 2 or 3 weeks.
    is he an only child? younger syblings tend to speak earlier. as i said its not the output. yet. its the matter of if you ask him a question or give him directions does he understand and follow?
    5ontherock

Answer by 5ontherock at 6:54 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Take him to his pediatrician FIRST, get a hearing screening and go from there. Don't jump into speech therapy....you have to find out WHY he's not talking before you can fix it. You can do all the speech therapy you want, but if he can't hear....it's not gonna help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:22 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• This article has some great information

http://www.babycenter.com/404_my-18-month-old-doesnt-talk-yet-what-should-i-do_6893.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• A speech therapist will screen his hearing first. Your pediatrican should be able to refer you to speech services. Hopefully it is just fluid in his ears a small surgery and all will be fine. Or it will be a wonderful game of waiting for a bunch of different services and therapists to assess why your child is not talking. We are waiting.. my 2 yr old does not talk.. she can hear but chooses not to pay any mind to me.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 3:07 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Take him for a hearing test first that is number 1 , then do what is needed after.
    Trust me my daughter who is 16 now didn't talk until she was 29 months old.
    She failed her hearing test and this was a result of fluid in the ears. I don't want to scare you either but the hearing test is the number 1 thing to do.
    NOW THE THING is once they talk you can't get them to be quiet!!!! lol
    Good luck and keep us posted please!!!
    series40

Answer by series40 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 1, 2008

• what ever happened to your son? I was going to write you saying I was worried about my two yr old. She is now 4 months from being 3 yrs old. She just started saying things we can understand at the end of Feb
    series40

Answer by series40 at 11:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010