How young is TOO young to be running the nieghborhood?

We live in a cul de sac. My girls are 10 and 11. in a couple other houses are kids their ages and e let them roam the culde sac and they cant go further than the bend. Two of their friends have little sisters, One is 3 one is 4, that run all over. I think this is WAY to young to be unsupervised by their own parents and I really dont appreciate them pawning them off on ME and my girls! I dont want to be responsible for these babies and I dont want my girls to be either. And then there was today...MY girls were at another house and in my back yard wonders the unsupervised FOUR YEAR OLD. I ask her to leave twice...TELL her to leave 3 more and then her brother shows up to drag her home! Does anyone else think this is too young?? HOW do I approach the parents without alienating them....because my girls play with their older kids!

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think 3 and 4 are way to young. I would just tell the parents your concerns. Even though you live on a cul de sac there is nothing to stop them from wandering into traffic. My daughter is 8 and we have only recently let her start being outside on her own. However, she must stay within the boundries we have set.

At 3 and 4 they are not old enough to make good decisions.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I agree that is too young. I would tell the parents your uncomfortable with the situation.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:07 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 3 and 4 is WAY too young, I would definately talk to the parents. These girls could get hurt, kidnapped, raped/molested and/or killed.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 3-4yo is too young.. But I remember living on a dead end street & I think it was about 7-8yo is when I could hang out with my friends on the street with no supervision...
    There are some young kids in our neighborhood that ride their bikes around like a 10.9.7 yo sisters will go together or something like that... And I dont think anything about it. But my dd is only 4yo.. IDK when she will be allowed out front without us.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• ""in my back yard wonders the unsupervised FOUR YEAR OLD. I ask her to leave twice...TELL her to leave 3 more and then her brother shows up to drag her home! ""

You totally missed a perfect opportunity to address the situation here momma! You should have walked that young child to her home and informed the parents that you found her wandering around in your yard unsupervised!! Also - 5 times you speak with her and still don't do anything? Really?? If it bothers you that she's wandering around without someone watching her then get proactive - take her home each and every time.
    bemomkec

Answer by bemomkec at 11:03 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• well Thanks yall I thought mybe I was the only one! bem I couldnt leave my yard at the time or I would have. Hence the reason I didnt drag her happy butt home myself! I think I am going with Shakens idea to jut tell them I am not comfortable! I am pretty shelteed with my kids. My girls didnt go out alone until last year at 9 & 10 so I kno sometimes I am a little more to the strict side! So before I said something I wanted to make sure I wasnt crazy
    LOL
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 11:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• We have a 6 year old who roams our neighborhood. Her mom has called e several times and asked me if I have seen her daughter. She is here, but not knowing here your 6 year old is???? Yes 3 and 4 is def too young. I don't even let my girls leave the yard they are 9 and 10. But we have lived in chancy neighborhoods in the past. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:52 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My 8 yo can go outside and play but we are in a military secured neighborhood, and my girls can go out when they are 6!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 9:47 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• My son is 5 and we live in a rural area and I still won't let him go outside alone.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:51 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I see it all the time in our area & it just amazes me that some of these kids make it! I guess the parents feel it's survival of the fittest out there or something! Never mind that we have pervs & murderers running around to prey on innocent, unsupervised children! It's ridiculous, and those parents are only setting themselves up for the worst heartbreak any parent could ever face! Idiots! (not you- them!)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 11, 2011