Should i let my two 9yr olds and 10yr old to play out in the front of the house without adult supervision?

I have 5 kids including 2 step kids that are in my care 3 out of 7 days my daughter 9 stepson 9 stepdaughter 10 sons 4 and 1. My daughter and 4 yr old son are content with playing in the back yard w/ neighbor while i cook clean or am ocupied with baby step kids on other hand are given much more fredom by mother and like being out front on bikes or whatever unsupervised and i dont feel right doing that and dont always have the time to be out there with them. I feel bad that its gotten to the point that they dont want to come over enymore and am debating wether i am being over protective. whats your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• maybe if you chek on em every so often.. or if maybe you can see them through your window, idk thats tough.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 9:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• As long as they are "street smart" and to know to look for cars and don't go past a certain point, I see nothing wrong with it. My kids were at that age
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:53 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I know first hand the dangers of being out playing without an adult around. As a child I had two older people ask me for directions and to leave my bike so I could show them. Ever since that day I always watched my kids if they were out front. If they were in the backyard which was fenced in I was within earshot at all times. I was told I was overprotective until a neighbors child was molested by another neighbor. It was then that my daughter understood my fear.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 9:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• It depends really on where you live and the child. My dd is 10 and has played outside alone for quite some time but she can be truysted to stay in the yard and not talk to strangers etc
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 9:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Absolutely not. Not in these days. And it is okay to be "overprotective". It doesn't matter what other parents are letting their kids do. Just do what you feel is the best thing to do for your kids.
    ilovepoms

Answer by ilovepoms at 8:26 PM on Apr. 13, 2011

• depends on your street and area. i live at the end of a cul de sac so if I had older preteens that were mature and reliable and another parent was out on the street I would consider letting them play with friends near that adult for a little while.

in some areas, with kids as young as 9, with no other adults, no I would not allow 9/10 year olds out in the front yard without an adult around.

ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Depends on what type of neighborhood you live in and whether your children are mature enough mentally to know not to get near the road, not to talk to strangers if they approach. Myself, I would not trust my daughter even when she is that age. My stepson, he is 17 now, I only trusted him out in the backyard, it was fenced. It is totally your call, just trust your gut, if you do allow them to play out there, just please keep a check on them. There are so many perverts out there in our world today, it is scary.
    Kelly502

Answer by Kelly502 at 10:01 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I think you need to trust your gut. Only you know your children and your area. I wouldn't let them play alone though.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• no ma'am i wouldnt but i agree with some that you know your surroundings but my sister is 12 and we stay in a nice area but i still watch her outside
    cola22

Answer by cola22 at 10:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• NOPE, NOPE if you ever read missing reports, it took 20 seconds, for car to drive thru cul da sac, come down street, passsenger door open swept the child up as the car was moving and found the child dead 3 days later.. she was with her 9 yr old friends in front roller blading, yes they caught the people, and no she was not alive anymore, NOPE. scary
    proudmomof4boys

Answer by proudmomof4boys at 11:37 PM on Apr. 10, 2011