How have YOU dealt with a Long Distance Relationship?

I'm in a Long Distant Relationship. It will probably be a year before we ( me & my fiancée) live together again. We have been together and lived with one another for 3 yrs. He had to move away to attend College in the bigger city. It's not overall that bad, it's only a 2 hr drive there. It kinda sucks because I don't drive. But I can always take the Greyhound Bus once a month for a one week visit. Until, I get a part time job. My budget can only afford every 2-3 months. However my man said once he gets a job, he would pay for a bus ticket as well. I'm curious, what have your experiences been with LDR? How did you cope with missing them and what made you feel better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Goodness.... my SO lives in Chicago and comes here every week so I thought that was bad. Sorry :(
    I just keep myself busy.... it is hard to be away though
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• You just do...if you two are truly meant for each other, you will stick by each other, no matter the cost. And keep in mind "This too shall pass."
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• yeah i was in one when i was in college. i was also home once a week. it still didn't last
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 10:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• 2 hours is nothing these days with interenet use. Get the camera out and have a date night together. My daughter once dated a guy in Canada and she got all dressed up and they pretended to be across from each other having a nice dinner. Her relationship ended but not because of distance. Hang in there, it can work out just fine.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 10:10 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• My boyfriend lives in Texas. I live in Missouri. We have been together for 3 years I can tell you that I've probably seen him 6 months total plus 7 times which were about 2 days each per visit out of the 3 years we've been together. We text, call, chat and video chat every single day. It's the only way we can stay sane. I go crazy if I don't hear or see him at least once a day.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Talked & text all day. I did it for 3 yrs until he moved to Germany & I refused to marry him & get on an airplane due to medical issues. Hand write each other. It's much more special than e mail.
    shynu

Answer by shynu at 10:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Girl, I had it WAY worse. I was in VA and he was in TX. Same thing...went for college. We spent 2 years apart. It sucked big time. I'd suggest SKYPE and setting time aside to talk to each other on the phone each day. This is a test to see if it's true love. But trust me IT"S HARD. But its not impossible...we are getting married in a month :)

Just keep the communication going. And skyping helps.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• DH and I are in a constant long distance relationship.
    We stay in constant contact, are honest, loyal, and try hard to make the other person feel loved via email or phone.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Yeah, shitty deal for me. I don't have internet at home. Can just use it at the library, drop in places, etc. But we have talked almost everyday on the phone and on Skype. It really helps keep us strong.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• We text and talk all day. Skype has made our relationship way better, I love being able to actually see when I make him smile. We see each other about once a month, normally for just a weekend. Don't try to fit too much in when you do get to see each other. Early on I did that, but now we might plan one thing and then just really spend the rest of the time doing whatever we want in that moment. It's so much easier and we have so many more intimate moments now.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 10:55 PM on Apr. 10, 2011