Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Bad mom?

I wasrecently in a horrible mental and physical abusive relationship and I was finally able to get out a month ago. Now that I have gotten out I'm depressed. There a many days when I do not feel like doing anything I just lay on my couch and just watch my son play a lot of times I don't feel like cooking playing with him or cleaning. I can't afford my anti depressants and I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do I feel like a horrible mom. Any advice

Answer Question

Asked by ukeepmegoing at 10:11 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 5 (98 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You can go to a free or government run clinic, so, yes you could get help and I strongly suggest it. Your child deserves the best you that you can give him. Please go to your local health department or that type of facility and get some help for you and your child.

    Answer by Kelly502 at 10:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • Make the decision to make the right choices. You may not feel like it but you just do it. I've had days I really just don't care to get up and go to work. I make myself do it anyway. I'm not suggesting it's easy but it's what has to be done. You're not going to make yourself feel any better by continuing to make poor choices. It's just a downward spiral. Research assistance programs to help you get medication and counseling.


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • Depression is so well depressing, I have dealt with bouts of depression since i have my first dd 10 years ago. The only way I ever pulled myself out with medications was to one talk to someone about how you are feeling, (that can mean a friend, counselor family member hey even someone on here could help), break away from your routine, (literally make your ass get up, get out of that house, take your kid to the park or a museum but do not sit there all day long LOL) and three you have to find something to look forward to, (whether that be a job, a hobby, a date, etc.- fill your life up with something and u wont have time to feel depressed)

    Answer by rhonda111787 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • many drug companies now offer assistance (sometimes 100%) with prescription meds. Please seek it out. Find a support of a friend. I have been where you are....and there is a light at the end of this tunnel. Just say to yourself when that little one smiles up at you....."that is love pure and simple right there". My son was 5 when I went thru it and one day he just came up and sang "big worms, little worms, fat worms, skinny worms - mommy please don't eat no worms I love you" Gave me the strength to get up and take him outside. I still draw on that little face (he's now 24) when I feel myself slipping. Hugs honeybunch - - - you ARE of GREAT value.

    Answer by brypmom at 10:17 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • Get out of the house take your child to the park or for a walk. Exercise is great for depression however if it last too long you need to speak with a Dr. My dr suggest St Johns Wort for mild depression, just remember that it can effect your birth control. \
    You are not a horible mom just in a bad situation right now thing will get better.

    Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • I take care of my child my ds is doing amazing I'm just trying to get adcvice as to how I can get out of this phase it's a not fair to hiom but I have no support so its not like I. Can't talk to my family.

    Comment by ukeepmegoing (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • hugs I feel your pain. I was just diagnosed with low potassium and a uti because I too left an abusive relationship and wasn't taking care of myself. Make sure your getting sleep, eating, and getting enough water and your vitamins and minerals. Getting out of the house will help. It's hard because I know you have no energy but you will feel so much better. You can message me if you need to talk!



    Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

  • st. john wort is Cheap.. no your not a horrible mom , but please see if you can get counseling some places do it free or cheap. also remember you did nothing to deserve getting abused & you deserve a man who won't hit you.. please file to receive child support through the state enforcement unit.. *hugs* i left an abusive relationship years ago so i get it

    Answer by maiahlynn at 2:24 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.