When you see someone you haven't seen in a longtime and your lips and hands start to shake is it high blood pressure or anxiety?

that happens to me alot and I hate it, because I cant have a normal conversation, is there medication for that? how can I control it, I got to the point where i'm just stuck in my house without seeing my family from out of town cause of that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Dec. 1, 2008 in Health

• its not anxiety or high blood pressure.. i think its just you being nervous.

any other symptoms youre having?? explain more about them if you are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• just shaking, heat flash, and butterflies in my stomach...it feels terrible and its embarrassing, i wish there was a special medicine for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:36 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• yeah thats just nervousness... anxiety and high blood pressure are WAYYYY different...

maybe try some social skills or something....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• lol how if my shaking inteferes lol! it makes me not pay attention.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• It sounds like something called "social anxiety". There are medications that help some people, talk therapy sometimes helps as well. Paxil, Zoloft, Effexor are all used to treat social anxiety disorders. Combination medical and behavioral therapies is usually the most effective approach.

High blood pressure presents in a completely different way: heart palpatations, feelings of pressure in your neck and head, dizziness, headaches that are both severe and hard to treat.

A slight feeling of butterflies would be nervousness, but when the anxious feelings are preventing you from participating in activities, then it is something more than mere nerves.

Talk to your physician. There's help available.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 5:00 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• What kind of dr. do I go with to get zoloft? Is it expensive? What ive noticed that calms me down from getting nervous is liquor, alcohol! lol but what sucks is that I cant drink everyday cause then i'll mess up my liver.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Nervousness IS anxiety. Sounds like you have an anxiety disorder, a trip to a therapist would most likely help you a lot.

RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Yeah I agree it sounds like social anxiety...and it's not actually that uncommon to have. People who have never had it will try to tell you to "just relax" but it's nothing you have any control over. I would just talk to the doctor. If they think you needs meds they'll prescribe them...but they may recommend something else first.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 1, 2008

• Your regular doctor can help you, or he/she can recommend someone to you. If they feel you need the meds, they'll prescribe them. Like I said earlier, a combination approach is usually the most effective. Good luck
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:00 PM on Dec. 1, 2008