Ever see things in church that make you shake your head or laugh?

Most of the time I am very moved during church seeing everyone worship together. But today seemed to be more of an entertaining day at church more than anything!
I seen a couple with 2 kids sitting in front of us. The kids (under age7) were pretty good, doodling on paper. The father-before service was playing a game on his iphone, checked his facebook face within 30min of service & then started making paper planes (no not for his kids either!)...
Then I just so happen to glance up a few rows & see a teen couple (sitting next to their parents) loved up to one another like they where at the movie theater!!
So what are your funny stories you have witnessed in church.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• This is gonna take two CM windows...so bare with me. First one I didn't see IN church, but as I was passing by a church.... A lady and her gentleman had parked across the street down a ways... she was standing near the street (obviously waiting for him - I didn't notice what he was doing).... I'm passing by - running late.... As I get closer I see this absolute FOX of a woman - dressed to the Nines... Bright Red Stilettos - (gotta be 6 inches tall), SKIN tight ~ S.K.I.N. T.I.G.H.T. white silk dress - and with the morning sun behind her... I can see ALL the way thru it - she fiddling with something in her purse. My eyes are getting big... I know my mouth has already fallen open ~ THEN the cherry on the cake - she TURNS UP A FLASK!!!!.... I jumped on my brakes (out of knee-jerk reaction I guess)... but as I pass on by I can't help myself.... I honked the horn and just *Waved* at her like she was an old friend.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:30 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Hmmm... well, one time at midnight mass at Christmas, I was sitting with my dh, my dd, my parents and my brother. During the homily there was a pause when everyone was completely quiet... except for the guy two rows in front of us, who farted so loud it echoed throughout the whole church! Being the mature grown ups that we were, my dad, brother and I started laughing (quietly). The more I tried not to laugh, the more I wanted to laugh. I noticed several other people around us were having the same problem trying not to laugh.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Watched people play hangman, text, fall asleep, read a book, and draw on themselves. I'm thinking these people don't want to be there and were forced to go.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 10:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• WORST EVER - when I was a teenager there was a little girl in our church that had two older parents & two older brothers (Shonda was 4, her brothers were 16 & 18). Shonda was mean as a snake. One Sunday she's sitting with me and my sister during preaching (being the preacher's daughters kinda made us volunteer babysitters more Sundays than not)... So service is coming to a close & Shonda mother looks back and mouths to us "does Shonda have her shoes on" (Shonda never kept her shoes on) my sister held the shoes up and nods to her mom (indicating that she'll put the shoes on Shonda). My sister starts trying to do just that - Shonda is twisting & turning & frowning & growling- my sister persists.Right about then the closing prayer began... right in the middle of the closing prayer Shonda lost her patients and said - no screamed "STOP THAT YOU SON OF A BITCH!" - My sister and I both wilted with embarrassment where we stood.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:40 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I giggled this morning when an infant about 18 mo old came up front and started clapping his hand and wiggling to the music. It was so cute. What you said about that father is disrespectful (not you--the father lol). He should be setting an example for his children. I've seen the same sort of thing at my church. I saw a woman balancing her checkbook once. If you're not interested in what the preacher has to say, why even show up?
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:45 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• Our pews are wooden, no cushioning (unless you sit on one of the pillows that the old folk sit on). Last summer during the service, someone on the other side of the room farted and it echoed so loud. It was SO HARD not to act like a school girl and laugh about it! I turned my head to look at my brother in law's reaction which was a HUGE mistake. The look on his face made me lose control, lol. It was just too funny!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 11:49 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• wow...the teen couple thing surprises me...if the parents the parents didn't say something, our pastor would have...and i mean right there in the middle of preaching. at least at my church...church is not the place for that. we have a section for the youth though...they sit in that section (the first few rows of the pews) or they sit with their parent/guardian. most youth are fine with it, we've never had a problem, that i'm aware of anyway.

the most i see are things that are cute, i mean i don't go looking for them, but like my kids or a couple with kids [ under the age of 6 or 7. older than that, the parents are making sure they are sitting still and paying attention to the pastor, if there is no sunday school/ children's church] sitting near me, the kids might do something cute or funny. other than that, the adults are mainly paying attention to the preaching of the word.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• armywife- we have a big church that has a big balcony- the preacher cannot see them really. I think the parents did say something to them because i turned around a few minutes later & the mom looked a lil' angry & the teens where just holding hands then..

Teens/Kids I understand (to a point) them not acting right in church.. And i overlook it or smile or feel bad for them if they look like its being forced on them.. But it was so funny to see this Dad (late 20s) ("leader" of his family) sit there and act like a 10yo playing video games & making paper airplanes with the churches paper!... Its none of my business I know. It just made me giggle.. But I try to think maybe he has ADD or something & that helped him deal while attending church for/with his family.. Gotta think of the good right?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I visited my sisters church and at a Que from the Pasteur the people would speak in tongues. This happened every time I went there. I didn't think speaking in tongues was a give on the piasters Que.

Glo402813

Answer by Glo402813 at 10:29 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• wow...speaking in tongues isn't something you learn...it's evidence that God's given you his precious gift, the Holy Ghost. Now, our pastor will say something along the lines of "stir up the spirit inside of you" while we're praise and worshiping the Lord, but it's not a "quo"...it's just the pastor encouraging us to pray in the Spirit.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 10, 2011