Do you have twins or know of twins?

If so do you dress them in the same outfits or buy them the same gifts?

My husband is turning 42, and is a twin. Every year my MIL buys him and his twin the exact same gift for their birthday. Being their mother, you would think that she would learn that they are 2 different people and have different interests by now.... but she hasn't. She does the same thing for Christmas.

As a kid they always wore the same outfits and had to do all the same things. Even though they are 2 people, they have always kind of been considered 1.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have twins - they are 21 yrs old. Growing up - they were a lot of similar clothes, same shirt different color kinda thing. But that only was because we would find great deals on the clothes and they had favorite colors - one loved blue and the other loved red and orange.

Now - they very rarely wear the same thing and then it is completely by accident because I have almost quit purchasing their clothes and NEVER buy without them there.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:27 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I know 5yo twins..
    The mom does dress them similar. and i dont know if the boys are ever separated for anything..
    We have always bought them identical gifts or 1 year we bought them a basketball goal so it was 1 gift for both of them. Mom likes for them to have the same toys so they dont have to fight over it as much (understandable)... As they get older I will start asking them what they want, if they want the same things -- then so be it.. but if they ask for different things yes i will buy them different..

I think after a certain age twins shouldnt share the same presents like that (unless they both really want it). Really sometime during the (pre)teen years most kids want their own identity & getting the same gifts would be harsh!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:48 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• i have 20 yr old twins i don't know how they dress. but i don't think anything nearly what i think should be wearing.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 11:14 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have twins. They're almost sixteen. It's a little different because I have a boy and a girl. Not gonna lie, growing up I had to dress them in similar outfits every once in awhile, just for the pictures. They were so cute! I would never do it on a regular basis though. As for gifts, some people I know do always try to give them the same presents, but those are always the people who clearly don't know my kids at all. You would be hard pressed to find anything that suits both of their interests, if such a thing even exists. They have their own very separate, very distinct identities and I've always tried to encourage that. I've always hated it when people refer to them as, "the twins".
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 10, 2011

• I have 8 yo twins and never considered dressing them alike. They have different coloring, they're not the same shape nor size ... so the same styles and colours wouldn't suit both of them. In any case, what is the point in dressing them alike? To show people that they really ARE twins?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:55 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• my sil's are twins and when they were younger we would buy them all the same christmas present's, even their sister who was a year older. Now that they are grown and clearly have different tastes and dont' seem as likely to compare or be upset if one got something the other didn't we buy them what would suit them best, well as far as we know! lol They've never dressed the same, as far as I can remember, except the time we bought them all GAP sweaters! lolBut we even bought one for my mil, it was cute!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 11, 2011

• 42? isn't that kind of OLD to be doing that? Do they wear the matching outfits?

P.S. I have twin cousins, but I don't recall them dressing alike.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:04 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• LOL no now that they can choose their own outfits, they don't wear the same things anymore. Although, I'm sure if it were up to my MIL, they would still be wearing the same things. hahaha
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Apr. 11, 2011

• I have twin girls one loves when I buy her new clothes, the other hates it, she'll only wear clothes that she picks out at a shop.. You can bet I'll buy her no clothes if she can't find something she likes in 2 minutes, so no never have they had same clothes except for when they were babies everything was pink
    kellyschnell

Answer by kellyschnell at 11:07 AM on Apr. 23, 2011